PDA

View Full Version : Golden Compass Intactivism?

JustVisiting
July 10th, 2008, 01:44
There was controversy over this book being anti religious, but thought you guys might wanna know it's anti circumcision as well, there is one part that was quite obvious, the intercision process, in which separates an individual from their dæmon(spirit animal) for the reason that it could cause bad things, naughty thoughts (sin), and my god did they repeat the "it's only a little snip" line enough

similarities:
intercision/circumcision
the little snip line
it's to free from sin/evils
done to children
children taken away from parents to do it

so thinking maybe I was a bit too quick to jump at this conclusion I looked online, the second book has this

You know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did - not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling...

the map vaguely resembled Europe with the names and such, in the north circumcision is rare, but down south in Africa/middle east they do it to both male and females, the whole reference wasn't concealed really.

and from the director's

As in the book, there's something quite off about the way that people act at Bolvangar. They're not quite aware of the fact that they're doing something terrible. In fact they're quite proud of themselves and proud of their station, and they're also condescending towards chldren. ... And here comes a hateful lie from the male nurse: "But this is the way that you grow up" and the idea here is that this intercision process that they're inflicting on children is something that they see as good for them, and if only they could perfect the process they would be saving the children from something terrible, which is the infection of Dust [Original Sin].

it was a good movie overall not because of this, I don't think kids would get any of the references in the movie, I started on the book but just decided to watch it anyway, the movie is quite watered down