PDA

View Full Version : Circumcision Rates Are Too Low

Pants
December 25th, 2008, 09:03
This should get your blood boiling.

Circumcision Rates Too Low

TUESDAY, Dec. 23 (HealthDay News) -- Thousands of male infants aren't being circumcised each year, because their states don't cover the procedure through Medicaid, new research suggests.

"There's a good case to be made that circumcisions can protect our children," said study author Arleen A. Leibowitz, a professor of public policy at the University of California, Los Angeles. "If you can alleviate the cost of the procedure, then people are more likely to adopt it."

Circumcision rates have been dropping since the 1980s amid controversy about whether the procedure is necessary or desirable. More states, meanwhile, have stopped paying for the procedure through Medicaid, including 10 in this decade alone. If all states covered circumcision, the percentage of male babies who get the procedure would rise from 56 percent to 62 percent, Leibowitz estimated.

Matzi
December 25th, 2008, 11:30
Well Arleen....Lets cut up your genitals!

finman
December 26th, 2008, 03:49
If all states covered circumcision, the percentage of male babies who get the procedure would rise from 56 percent to 62 percent, Leibowitz estimated.

And that would be a terrible crime against the additional 6%!!!

ron1
March 14th, 2009, 15:53
Good to see Miss Liebowitz isn't letting her religion get in the way of things.

I'm ashamed of my tribe...

finman
March 15th, 2009, 12:27
Maybe the percentages could be restored by circumcising females, with Miss Liebowitz first on the cutting block.

Tormod - IRL
March 15th, 2009, 12:37
Circumcision for free on the UK National Health was probably what caused me to get mutilated in 1948 here in the UK part of Ireland. My late mother "worshipped" the UK royals and, apparently, they practise circumcision.
Not sure when mutilation for free stopped here - but, it was not soon enough.

finman
March 15th, 2009, 12:45
My late mother "worshipped" the UK royals and, apparently, they practise circumcision.
They also practise adultery - would she approve of that? [Is adultery sex for adults?]

Although the National Health Service supposedly stopped circumcision in the 50s, I was still mutilated in an NHS hospital as my mother (and father???) just accepted the doctor's recommendation.