PDA

View Full Version : Year One, the movie-- Cobra Approves!

cobra
June 22nd, 2009, 03:20
I watched Year One today. My wife took me to see it for Father's Day. It's plot is a stereotypical "save the girlfriends" no-brainer, funny enough for the most part but oddly disjointed here and there due to choppy editing. The movie features two bumbling protagonists played by Jack Black and Michael Cera. The story takes place in Old Testament times, and features Cain and Abel, Abraham and Isaac, as well as other Biblical characters, with the film's climax situated in the city of Sodom.

Jack Black basically plays himself, and so does Michael Cera... but they make a pretty good comedy duo, so no complaints from me. There were plenty of laughs, mostly of the gross-out variety-- with Jack Black eating poop and Michael Cera peeing in his own face while hanging upside down in a torture chamber.

I'm posting this here because there are several anti-circumcision references in the film. When Jack and Michael stumble into Abraham's Jewish village, I thought, Oh no, here comes the foreskin jokes... but I was pleasantly surprised.

When Abraham (played by Hank Azaria, one of my favs) gets all wild-eyed and declares that God has commanded him to circumcise everyone in the village, our protagonists Zed and Oh are understandably reluctant to let the madman "grab a knife and cut off the tip of their penises." Abraham tries to convince them, saying he'll only cut off the extra-- and Jack Black's character replies, "There is no extra skin on my penis." This goes on for a minute with Abraham trying to make it sound good, and only making a more horribly awful case for cutting their penises up. I was surprised the audience laughed quite a bit and seemed to approve of the anti-circ sentiments of the main characters, and as the two run from the village they stop for a moment as shrieks of agony resound in the air from all the weiner slicing.

There is one other genital integrity comment in the film, when Michael Cera's character comes across a eunuch. When the eunuch explains that he had his balls cut off, Cera declares, "What is it with all the genital mutilation?" and another good laugh from the audience.

All in all, I liked the film. Despite its heavy Jewish cast of characters, there is not one pro-circ comment that doesn't sound totally absurd and awful, and several pro-intact comments that are funny and honest.

David Cross is also hilarious as Cain. Not to be missed.

It's nice to see films finally starting to show a bit of pro-intact sensibilities.

TopHat
June 22nd, 2009, 17:12
It sounds like a rare diversion from the usual "ewww, foreskin" mentality that usually dominates in American movies, but also...

David Cross

I'm sold.

Joseph
June 22nd, 2009, 17:24
Gotta see that movie.

And AOTTP, I recognize Ashita no Joe in your avatar! (I'm called that a lot... :P )

ih8vtec13
June 22nd, 2009, 17:34
Its good to hear that people responded to this well, maybe it will raise some awareness. I really want to see this movie now.

INeedAForeskinTransplant
June 29th, 2009, 09:10
When I saw the previews for this movie I was like "this is going to have circ jokes in it." *Groan* : (

It's nice to know they're anti-circ jokes.

I just...I don't find it funny, you know? It's not a joke to me.

jeff71913
June 29th, 2009, 23:19
Sounds like a pretty good movie. I'm still waiting for a sequel to Cloverfield. I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure the monster wasn't circumcised ;)

jeffrey

cobra
June 30th, 2009, 04:10
He gets circumcised in Cloverfield 2. Can't be an American Godzilla without snipping a bit off the tip.

Unregistered
June 30th, 2009, 05:25
When I saw the previews for this movie I was like "this is going to have circ jokes in it." *Groan* : (

It's nice to know they're anti-circ jokes.

I just...I don't find it funny, you know? It's not a joke to me.

I have to agree. As nice as it is to see a change of attitude in at least one film, it's still a pretty poor subject to joke around on overall. I'm not fond of humor where it concerns this, but to some types of people, that may be the only way to win them over... Maybe sometime in the future I could laugh too, hopefully even in triumph. Not now, though.

jeff71913
June 30th, 2009, 12:33
He gets circumcised in Cloverfield 2. Can't be an American Godzilla without snipping a bit off the tip.

OMG! I know it's not nice to joke about circ, but that was a good one!

jeffrey

cobra
June 30th, 2009, 22:54
Laughter is good therapy. I would rather laugh than beat my head against the wall. Also, just a bit of advice for all you emo hair-pullers: stress has a negative effect on your health, and could possibly slow your restoration progress. I understand there is a grieving process with foreskin restoration, but the best thing to do is work your way through it quickly and learn to be happy again. It really is the best prescription for rapid foreskin restoration and just overall general healthiness. Love me or hate me, it's the truth.

INeedAForeskinTransplant
June 30th, 2009, 23:07
Laughter is good therapy. I would rather laugh than beat my head against the wall. Also, just a bit of advice for all you emo hair-pullers: stress has a negative effect on your health, and could possibly slow your restoration progress. I understand there is a grieving process with foreskin restoration, but the best thing to do is work your way through it quickly and learn to be happy again. It really is the best prescription for rapid foreskin restoration and just overall general healthiness. Love me or hate me, it's the truth.

Well, you may feel that, but I respectfully disagree. What was done to me, what was taken from me, it's not a joke to me. Not even close. If it is to you, great. Maybe you're healthier than me. Maybe you're a more advanced, more spiritually developed human being. You can have your opinion and I have mine, tyvm. :(

Unregistered
July 1st, 2009, 04:56

Emo hair-puller? Well, I wouldn't say it's quite like that anymore. It's just a bit difficult for some to create that bridge to cross. Yeah, I know and acknowledge all of those things about stress, I agree with you on it and would like to get there myself, but it's just frustrating sometimes. Down and up days.

cobra
July 1st, 2009, 22:34
I see your "respectfully disagree" and raise you a "concerned and understanding". I know it's hard to deal with this issue when you first see the light-- and you can have relapses even years later-- but I am only giving this advice out of honest concern. If it makes you feel better, I will let you beat on Taoist for awhile. He likes the rough stuff. Go ahead. Hit em!

;)

jeff71913
July 1st, 2009, 22:47
I see your "respectfully disagree" and raise you a "concerned and understanding". I know it's hard to deal with this issue when you first see the light-- and you can have relapses even years later-- but I am only giving this advice out of honest concern. If it makes you feel better, I will let you beat on Taoist for awhile. He likes the rough stuff. Go ahead. Hit em!

;)

I have to agree. Sometimes it sounds like I am emotional, or angry, but I'm not at all. I am very clear about my feelings regarding circ and that may make me sound a bit pissed. I believe in the power of change and I take solace in that. And laughter is good medicine. When I was young I was very hurt and angry, so I understand very well what some of the guys here are going through.

jeffrey