PDA

View Full Version : Predatory Tonsillectomies?

OracleYori
July 23rd, 2009, 11:24
Did anyone listen to the pres. about this?

Nate67
July 23rd, 2009, 12:41
Yeah, I did catch that. I turned to my wife and said that is the same thing as with RIC. If the reimbursement fee for RIC was not attractive, then doctors would not be encouraged to "push" this procedure on victims for the sake of a buck.

Obama was making the point that medical procedures should be done when INDICATED medically, not just because of the attractive $$$$$ reimbursement.

You have a sore throat maybe all you need is antibiotic not a tonsillectomy. You have a foreskin, all you need is to LEAVE IT ALONE, you don't have a pathology, therefore you don't need a "procedure" to cure it. Too bad he did not use that as an example.

I wonder if our president is intact?.:confused:

Saracen_restorer
August 16th, 2009, 20:28
I lack a tonsil and some lymph nodes because of the same kind of rationale that is applied to circumcision. Unfortunately lymphoid systems cannot be restored in any way to my knowledge...

adamrestored
September 7th, 2009, 12:00
I never had a tonsillectomy for this reason, but the rest of my family is without tonsils.
:(

Someone mundane
September 7th, 2009, 18:12
It is unfortunate that the whole hysteria over tonsils even developed in the first place. It's just another example of all the critical blunders medicine continues on with. More recently the foreskin, the streak still seems to be going strong.

Tonsillectomies are (were? seems too soon to say) a blunder.

Bloodletting was a blunder.

Not practicing good hygiene was a blunder. (Actually I think this still persists in certain regions even to this very day)

Wounds not being dressed was a blunder.

There's lots to list. Medicine should not be this way... *Sigh*

Joseph
September 7th, 2009, 19:32
This is disgusting.

What other body parts can be pruned off of people for reimbursement simply because "they're not needed?"

I mean, you don't need that extra kidney, adenoid, spleen, gall bladder, appendix, lung, eye, testicle...

And getting rid of them cuts your likely hood of getting cancer by half. (Except those you only have ONE of course... then that just ELLIMINATES the possibility...)

There's medical "benefit." So how far can doctors snip here and there?

Absolutely disgusting, this business of organ harvesting.

Saracen_restorer
September 7th, 2009, 20:07
There are a lot of hysterectomies in the US I hear, some of which were apparently done by deception.

Someone mundane
September 7th, 2009, 20:54
Hysterectomy... That's a nice word. That's really all it amounts to when there is no indication at all.

admin
September 7th, 2009, 23:40
When I was a kid they tried to take my tonsils because I spoke with a nasal voice. I was promised lots of ice cream when I woke up in the hospital. I was told it would be much harder on me if I had it done when I was older.

Believe it or don't I was 6.5 and I talked my family out of doing that to me on the basis that it was not natural, and since they weren't saying I was sick with anything how could I need surgery? And if we're just animals and if animals had parts that needed surgery then how did they survive since dinosaur days for millions of years when there was no surgery?

My mom remembers having this conversion as well as I do. After that I worked very hard on keeping my throat open as I spoke to fix the voice thing.

Funny thing is, I now hate my tonsils, but not enough to have them cut on.

-Ron

Joseph
September 8th, 2009, 01:30
The following could be considered a "problem," and maybe quite a few people "suffer" from it and aren't "coming out" because they don't "know" it's a problem yet, but here goes:

There are some foods that when I eat them, it causes bubbles to grow at the back of my mouth, not in my throat, but right next to my molars.

I can feel them with my tongue. There right there, and since they keep swelling and swelling, it's a distraction because I always want to go back there and feel them with my tongue.

The solution is quite simple really: I go to a mirror and open my mouth and press on the bubbles with my sanitised fingers until the bubbles burst. It doesn't hurt, but it is quite irritating, as the wound remains a little bit, and though the bubbles are not there anymore, it is still a destraction for my tongue.

I think my problem is that allergies to certain foods cause my salival glands to get clogged and swell up.

It doesn't happen ALL the time, but when it does, it's annoying, as the healing process can take a week.

Maybe this could be a case for "routine" removal of "excess" spit glands?

ANOTHER STORY:

This one was quite serious.

I had to have braces when I was a kid, cuz my teeth were all wacked.

But anyway, one time, I started developing a growth in my lip. I thought it was nothing, because growths like that usually subside on their own.

But this time, it just wouldn't, and my orthodontist took notice. He told me exactly what it was; it was a clogged up saliva gland in my lip, and he refered me to a professional.

Sure enough, that's what it was, and the professional scheduled surgery, because it was the only way that was going to go away. It just wasn't so, yeah...

So like, I didn't have to be put out for the whole thing, just local anaesthesia would be OK, so I was awake to see the whole thing.

I remember the doctor cutting out what looked like a section of tubbing that was swollen in the middle; it was not pretty.

So like, you ever here those circumcision advocates that always have some story of a "friend" who had a child who "had to have circumcision?" Well first, I'd be suspicious because as we all know, doctors in the US like to use any and every reason to "recommend" circumcision.

But even if that was legit. Using the same logic of "I want to circumcise my child because my friend's child had to be circumcised," it sounds like someone could use my story to justify the non-theraputic removal of spit glands.

Because you know, they clog up!

It happened to me. Oh no!

There's that risk!

Better remove everyone's spit glands "just to be safe."

:rolleyes:

Saracen_restorer
September 8th, 2009, 08:03
Hysterectomy... That's a nice word. That's really all it amounts to when there is no indication at all.

Calling it "female castration" would make it a lot less popular. :p

Joseph
September 8th, 2009, 08:11
Oh now you're just being hysterical.

:D

Saracen_restorer
September 8th, 2009, 08:12
Oh now you're just being hysterical.

:D

Technically true though isn't it? The ovaries die if they aren't already removed with the uterus...

Someone mundane
September 8th, 2009, 08:21
Hrmm. After I eat really oily or greasy things I tend to get quite a cough at the back of my throat. I'm not sure if that would be related to the tonsils... I don't think so. Either way I just ignore it and suck it up.