PDA

View Full Version : More Skin Regeneration News

Yayyy
December 1st, 2009, 13:11
Looking better and better...

PARIS, Dec. 1, 2009 (Reuters) French scientists have found a way to create human skin rapidly from stem cells, a discovery that could save the lives of many burns victims who are vulnerable to infection and now wait weeks for a skin graft.

The scientists made the breakthrough by creating a patch of human skin on a mouse's back using stem cells -- cells which have the ability to develop into any human cell.

"We grafted cells on the back of a mouse on which we had created a wound, and we observed twelve weeks later that the epidermis had mended itself," said Xavier Nissan, who took part in the study by I-stem, which develops regeneration therapies using stem cells

w ww.newsdaily.com/stories/tre5b01mv-us-france-skingrafts/

Bashar
December 13th, 2009, 11:23
i'm so sure we'll all have the option to regenerate missing structures on our foreskins. question is, will our restored foreskins be a liability or an advantage for the process?

i think they'd have to shed some cells before they could add anything to the already apparent "foreskin" or it would be too tight to function...

obviously it's going to be a cosmetic thing :| money stolen, money stolen... moooney money money money money... but i'd take the offer a doctor gives me. anyday.

i don't know how willing i'd be to go under the knife though, if need be

Unregistered
December 13th, 2009, 16:10
i'm so sure we'll all have the option to regenerate missing structures on our foreskins. question is, will our restored foreskins be a liability or an advantage for the process?

i think they'd have to shed some cells before they could add anything to the already apparent "foreskin" or it would be too tight to function...

obviously it's going to be a cosmetic thing :| money stolen, money stolen... moooney money money money money... but i'd take the offer a doctor gives me. anyday.

i don't know how willing i'd be to go under the knife though, if need be

Unfortunately, this is probably some years away from being feasible. If we're super-lucky, it could be 5 years away. My guess is 10 years (though everyone jokes about certain things like anti-baldness cures being 10 years away).

I doubt that having a restored foreskin would get in the way but it possibly could. Probably not a good reason not to restore.

Bashar
December 13th, 2009, 20:25
ever head of bosley? (bosly?) hair restoration? pretty decent cure for baldness already made.

and ya i'm still restoring for sure.

Unregistered
December 13th, 2009, 20:46
ever head of bosley? (bosly?) hair restoration? pretty decent cure for baldness already made.

and ya i'm still restoring for sure.

I think a stem cell/genetic engineering/other pharmaceutical cure for baldness will make Bosley-type techniques obsolete overnight.

Just as a similar type "instant" cure for circumcision will make tugging a thing of the past.

admin
December 13th, 2009, 22:10
I think a stem cell/genetic engineering/other pharmaceutical cure for baldness will make Bosley-type techniques obsolete overnight.

Just as a similar type "instant" cure for circumcision will make tugging a thing of the past.

I hesitate to use the word cure with regard to things which are not illnesses.