PDA

View Full Version : AAP new policy ?

Angol
January 7th, 2010, 11:37
More and more people are expecting AAP to change its policy regarding circumcision in the near future. This may sound a disaster if they do.
But when I think about it, I'm no longer so sure.

In fact if AAP recommands for circumcision, it could be good :
we are no longer in 1950s, a lot of people are aware now that circumcision serves no purpose and these "health" benefits are minimal. The fact AAP recommands for circumcision could induce the opposite reaction and a lot of controversy not only in US but also in other countries (Canada, Australia etc...). This strong opposition might make intactivism even more powerful. Instead of publishing biased studies, media would be forced to make real debates about this practice and ethics etc... People would be even more informed.

Why do you think about it ?

guest user
January 7th, 2010, 15:47
I hate to say it, but I don't see it that way.

This ridiculous HIV argument had added another 15 years momentum to genital cutting in the US. Without it, rates would probably have continued to fall.

The pro-cutters are frothing at the mouth about the HIV angle.

Think about it. A lot of people who are "on the fence" now have another HUGE reason to wimp out and go with peer pressure.

I think it's very bad.

Angol
January 7th, 2010, 16:34
The fact is parents don't make their decision because it is said that circumcision reduces HIV by 50%, they don't even know that (they are completly ignorant). They support circumcision b/c the father is cut or because they watch that Samanta in Sex & the city find intact penis gross.

admin
January 7th, 2010, 21:12
they watch that Samanta in Sex & the city find intact penis gross.

But in that "turtleneck" episode, the lady who is the most sexually experienced expresses extreme delight with intact partners.

4Foreskin
January 8th, 2010, 18:11
I think if the AAP does this it will be very bad. The sheep will blindly follow.

This goes to show once again that bad or false logic can be built upon in such a way as to actually cause harm. This is not unprecedented in history, but is disheartening with all the information that is available today, especially to US citizens. It shows that a general population will not think for themselves. They will rely on the “educated” to do the thinking for them, who often have agendas that are not in the best interest of the population. I am getting to the point that I challenge everything.

Take care. Keep tugging and thinking for yourselves.

restorfan
January 8th, 2010, 19:11
From what I've read, the AAP intends to maintain its position that the procedure should not be done routinely or recommended for every child, and that parents should discuss with their doctors if it is really necessary.

Glad to see it.

Joseph
January 8th, 2010, 19:18
I can't be glad to see that they're maintaining their fence-sitting position...

You'll notice how the AAP doesn't think FGM should be discussed between the parent and doctor.

Absolute spinelessness...

Good-for-nothing worms...

Quark
January 9th, 2010, 08:29
From what I've read, the AAP intends to maintain its position that the procedure should not be done routinely or recommended for every child, and that parents should discuss with their doctors if it is really necessary.

In other words nothing changes. It's much the same with the RACP policy.

Maybe it should be law that all parents must read the latest AAP policy before signing a consent form. Perhaps it'd could change the minds of some parents.

tony12345
January 9th, 2010, 09:33
From what I've read, many legislators would not be opposed to ensuring parents are supplied information regarding circumcision prior to signing consent. If we could get that done that would be some progress.

Also, the literature and consent should be given in the native language of the parents, that way Latinos are not duped into something they don't understand.

I'm wondering if I should request from a few local hospitals a copy of their consent form.