PDA

View Full Version : Circumcision, worse than torture ??

Angol
January 9th, 2010, 19:34
Most men who undergo adult circumcision recognize that the procedure was very painful despite they had a medical condition (even if it's debatable), they gave their informed consent, they were under general anesthesia, they had support from family, friends etc...

Now imagine an adult being suddenly strapped down against his will to prevent any movement and being circumcised without his informed consent and without anesthesia. Everybody would be horrified claiming it's torture.

This is what is happenning to babies (who are much more vulnerable than adults btw). And it's not a couple of debatable "scientific" studies that are going to change the very nature of this procedure.

Why people are so ignorant and refuse to see circumcision for what it is ?

another poster
January 9th, 2010, 20:18
I've mentioned this before, but whenever you see some pro-circ a**hole online - especially a woman - they ALWAYS say that their son "just fell asleep" right after.

This is such a bizarre phenomenon if you think about it. It's like a mass psychosis. No baby "falls asleep" right after this procedure - if anything, they go into a form of shock.

And every single youtube video of the "procedure" shows a howling, agonized baby screaming its lungs out.

This is a 10-15 minute agonizing ripping of live, sensitive flesh. It is an extremely sick thing to do to an infant - extremely sick.

Aspie
January 9th, 2010, 20:39
Most men who undergo adult circumcision recognize that the procedure was very painful despite they had a medical condition (even if it's debatable), they gave their informed consent, they were under general anesthesia, they had support from family, friends etc...

Now imagine an adult being suddenly strapped down against his will to prevent any movement and being circumcised without his informed consent and without anesthesia. Everybody would be horrified claiming it's torture.

This is what is happenning to babies (who are much more vulnerable than adults btw). And it's not a couple of debatable "scientific" studies that are going to change the very nature of this procedure.

Their is no single answer instead their are many reasons why here are a few

1.) It is financially beneficial for doctors to sell amputated foreskins so they of course encourage parents to have their children circumcised.
2.) Parents don't know what the prepuce does and because of such ignorance it is easier for them to be manipulated.
3.) They don't question their mothers, fathers, doctors, when they tell them that the foreskin is dirty and that the boy and his sexual partners will be healthier if its cut off.
4.) They believe the myth babies don't feel pain.
5.) They believe that babies feel pain but the pain won't have any lasting affects and they won't remember it.
6.) They believe because the foreskin won't retract the child is ill and needs a circumcision.

I could go on but I don't think I need too.

Joseph
January 9th, 2010, 22:40
As to the question in the title of the thread, I'd say circumcision IS torture, though that is debateable, as, for all intents and purposes, the child doesn't remember.

You could say that a circumcised man will be psychologically tortured for the rest of his life, as he is to live with the truth of a scar on his penis until he dies.

The thing with torture is, if it is something that is causing pain, it stops at one point. If someone is holding a torch to another person's legs, the victim pleads for mercy or "confesses" and the torture stops. You could say that psychologically it could continue, as who can really measure the impact of being tied down and being made to feel powerless?

With circumcision, I'd say it could be both. Yes, the circumcision stops, but only after a part of another's organs has been severed. The person may not be able to recall the event, but the scar continues as a reminder.

Then again, quite a lot of guys get over this and it's not a factor.

So who's to say whether circumcision is "worse" than torture.

I'd say it can't be anything less than torture.

But "worse?" I think it's hard to say.

It must stop either way I though...

gravester
January 9th, 2010, 22:52
"I'd say circumcision IS torture, though that is debateable, as, for all intents and purposes, the child doesn't remember."

Of course, I don't remember being circumcised, but wonder what the pain did to my sexual development. After all, I have seen a bris and watched the baby boy scream for twenty minutes afterwards. I can only imagine the pain he endured for the next several days while the wound healed.

What lesson did that little boy, and me, learn from that first sexual experience? How did it wire my brain just days after birth? Did it impact my sexual development in any way?

God only knows. But I'm sure it isn't good.

prev poster
January 9th, 2010, 23:14
"I'd say circumcision IS torture, though that is debateable, as, for all intents and purposes, the child doesn't remember."

Of course, I don't remember being circumcised, but wonder what the pain did to my sexual development. After all, I have seen a bris and watched the baby boy scream for twenty minutes afterwards. I can only imagine the pain he endured for the next several days while the wound healed.

What lesson did that little boy, and me, learn from that first sexual experience? How did it wire my brain just days after birth? Did it impact my sexual development in any way?

God only knows. But I'm sure it isn't good.

PTSD can be caused in the time frame that a circumcision is performed.

We also now know about epigenetics: how experience can change the way genes are expressed.

While I guess one could argue that it's impossible to say either way, I think most reasonable people would agree that it would probably be better to NOT subject an infant's nervous system to such a procedure.

In fact, this whole brain argument is what I've been using with more intelligent people online and in person. It makes them think. They want every advantage for their children; explaining to them the potential neurological damage a circumcision can inflict is a powerful argument.

Angol
January 10th, 2010, 00:16
I'd say circumcision IS torture, though that is debateable, as, for all intents and purposes, the child doesn't remember.

In fact there's no evidence the child doesn't remember despite it's true he has no conscious memory of the procedure later in life. It seems the trauma of circumcision is kept in the subconscious. There are many studies now showing infant pain (circumcision is obviously part of it) may have long term effects :

ww.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/08/990816065623.htm

ww.pslgroup.com/dg/1f21e.htm

Some men who undergo regressive therapies were able to relive the trauma of the procedure :

ww.menweb.org/circtom.htm

According to ww.cirp.org, the trauma of this procedure has two major consequences :

1. Denial :
Persons who have lost body parts must grieve their loss.The first stage of grief is denial of the loss. Denial of loss causes a flight from reality. Parkes et al. state that persons in denial may minimize their loss. Circumcision causes the loss of a body part and all of its functions including a drastic loss of erogenous sensory function, so denial of loss is not uncommon in circumcised males.
ww.cirp.org/library/psych

2. Repeat the trauma
Van der Kolk identified a compulsion in traumatized persons to repeat the trauma. This frequently results in circumcised fathers adamantly insisting that a son be circumcised. And this may explain very well why some doctors feel the compulsive need to circumcise other infants or children.
ww.cirp.org/library/psych/vanderkolk

Yunus
January 10th, 2010, 00:46
Sadly,I ever experienced this torture of circumcision,and luckily,I could escape from my circumcision.
When I read this thread,I remember about what I had experienced.
Circumcision is the worst thing and it is very bad torture.

CircVictim
January 10th, 2010, 01:39
When I was a child, I had a unusual amount of low self-esteem. All kids feel that way at times, but me, I had a quantity of negative behaviours and thoughts that I didn't notice in many others. With so little self esteem, my infant circumcision may have been one of the causes. This is just unproven opinion. But if I'm wrong, then what else could it be? Even if I was unaware of it at the time, the pain may have already had an impact on my subconscious.

I also wanted to add another thing in regards to future circumcisions and to answer the question is it worse than torture. Well, the only difference between a shallow-minded parent greenlighting the prick doctor and a typical abusive parent is that the typical abusive parent does not throw away a sum of money while inflicting the abuse. Both are harming their own poor kid, but one gets to keep his or her money. That's really the only difference when it comes down to the solid truth.

Finally, to answer the question "Why people are so ignorant and refuse to see circumcision for what it is?". The answer to that question is the same answer to the question "Why do people smoke?" They are influenced because it's the norm. No sane parent would even think about cutting off their baby boy's dick if they weren't surrounded by it. Hell with the proper methods of influence, anybody can make a bunch of people begin eating dog crap in they really wanted to.

ctrclckws
January 10th, 2010, 04:03
Regarding adult circumcision as torture, I believe that in the books I've read about the history of circ, that the English sent to war in the Middle East in the empire building time, were subject to circ by sword if they were captured.

Once this was realized, the English started doing the cut at home before the men were sent out. This was done to prevent the sword cut.

And by some twisted logic, it became a badge of honor to have been cut in the name of service to the king/queen. It may also have had some impact in circ becoming so common as well.

IMO circ by sword would be considered torture, just as what Yunus almost experienced affected him so much. Read his post describing it.

Joseph
January 10th, 2010, 04:57
I was thinking about this the other day...

What if medicine is just a ploy to get parents to consent to circumcising their boys, so that when they're good and ready to go to war in the middle east, this "circ by sword" thing won't be a problem?

Think about it... we've sent troops to Iraq, soon to be more troops in Afghanistan.

Though, it probably wouldn't be hard to make circumcision a requirement to join the military...

I just think it's rather peculiar how circumcision of children before they're able to consent is so propagated in the US. Media sources, press releases, "studies..."

Joseph
January 10th, 2010, 05:01
The fact is, for it to be torture, people have to be consciously aware of it.

I'm not denying the psychological torture of men who realize they'd rather not have been circumcised.

But is it really physical torture if a person isn't actually able to remember it?

If we're going to end circumcision, let's end it by pointing out what it is; a violation of human rights.

It's most definitely torture in an adult male. In a child, it's torture, but could it really be it if the child is unable to recall it as adult?

Whether a person can remember it or not, it's still a violation of basic human rights.

IMO, we should leave it at that.

Unregistered
January 10th, 2010, 07:43

I'm not denying the psychological torture of men who realize they'd rather not have been circumcised.

But is it really physical torture if a person isn't actually able to remember it?

If we're going to end circumcision, let's end it by pointing out what it is; a violation of human rights.

It's most definitely torture in an adult male. In a child, it's torture, but could it really be it if the child is unable to recall it as adult?

Whether a person can remember it or not, it's still a violation of basic human rights.

I put some links showing it's incorrect to say a child won't remember it or at at least the fact he won't have conscious memory doesn't mean it won't have any impact later in life.

And there's no evidence a baby isn't aware of what is happenning, he's at least aware that it's very painful since he can feel the pain like adults.

Yunus
January 10th, 2010, 07:54
Regarding adult circumcision as torture, I believe that in the books I've read about the history of circ, that the English sent to war in the Middle East in the empire building time, were subject to circ by sword if they were captured.

Once this was realized, the English started doing the cut at home before the men were sent out. This was done to prevent the sword cut.

And by some twisted logic, it became a badge of honor to have been cut in the name of service to the king/queen. It may also have had some impact in circ becoming so common as well.

IMO circ by sword would be considered torture, just as what Yunus almost experienced affected him so much. Read his post describing it.

Hey,I wasn't circumcised by sword. :p

By the way,I think that the photo below is the one which we called torture.
http://www.foreskin-restoration.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2979&stc=1&d=1263131502

poster
January 10th, 2010, 09:48

Your definition of torture doesn't seem to be very well thought out.

We consider it 'torture' if someone does something cruel to an animal. An animal can't "remember" something in the way we consider remembering it - that is, something that the brain can process, put words around and that can be express externally via language. Nevertheless, we still recoil at cruelty to animals.

But if someone is asleep - eg unconscious or knocked out - is it no longer considered torture if you physically abuse them?

Circumcision IS torture by any simple definition.

And this whole "memory" thing isn't really a good avenue of argument. The body and brain "remember" traumas and assaults - this is a whole topic of ongoing research.

It is extremely easy to see how circumcision would cause some reorganization in neural circuitry or a different expression in genes that could cause negative personal traits.

Joseph
January 10th, 2010, 10:55
I put some links showing it's incorrect to say a child won't remember it or at at least the fact he won't have conscious memory doesn't mean it won't have any impact later in life.

And there's no evidence a baby isn't aware of what is happenning, he's at least aware that it's very painful since he can feel the pain like adults.

That's not being debated here. The question as it is found in the title is:

"Circumcision, worse than torture ??"

Some men say they can remember everything, and others have memories surface as a result of therapy.

I will not deny that at all; who am I to say who remembers what?

The fact of the matter is, though, most men do not. Heck, quite a few don't really care. Do you need any more evidence than the size of the restoration movement?

I will not deny it that circumcision is mutilation, at is needless pain inflicted on a baby.

If the men don't remember, nor they don't care, can it really be called "worse than torture?"

I say, no.

The way I see it, circumcision is wrong whether men can remember the pain inflicted on them or not.

I think we waste our time trying to convince men that they were "tortured." They will laugh in our faces, and I say, with good reason.

Instead of focusing "how bad" circumcision is, why not focus on the fact that it's bad, whether men can remember it or not?

I think we might find more converts this way than trying to insinuate that they're in denyial.

They may be, but no one likes to be told we know what they're feelings are.

Can they remember it? Is it "torture" for them?

How do you know?

Joseph
January 10th, 2010, 11:03
Your definition of torture doesn't seem to be very well thought out.

Actually, no, I think my definition is quite well thought out. I just think we disagree on the importance of torture and its definition...

We consider it 'torture' if someone does something cruel to an animal. An animal can't "remember" something in the way we consider remembering it - that is, something that the brain can process, put words around and that can be express externally via language. Nevertheless, we still recoil at cruelty to animals.

I don't think the debate is whether or not we think that circumcision is cruel, or that it is torture. I think we both agree.

The question is IS it worse than torture? HOW is it worse than torture, and why?

I think we can both agree that whatever the degree of cruelty/torture of circumcision, it is not justified because people can't remember it.

If people can't remember it, then, I really think that the degree of torture is a red-herring here.

But if someone is asleep - eg unconscious or knocked out - is it no longer considered torture if you physically abuse them?.

Once again, what is "torture" is not being debated here. It is what is "worse" than torture.

You have two scenarios; one where a man is circumcised, another where a man is first put out and then circumcised.

Are you really going to tell me that they're both "the same?"

I say, they're not. One of them is "less torturous" than the other.

However, "less torturous" or "more torturous" is, I believe, a red herring, because BOTH ACTIONS ARE WRONG ON PRINCIPLE.

I completely agree. When an action is wrong, it doesn't matter that someone can remember an action or not. It is still wrong.

Which, is why I think this debate is entirely pointless...

ANgol
January 10th, 2010, 11:23
That's not being debated here. The question as it is found in the title is:

"Circumcision, worse than torture ??"

Some men say they can remember everything, and others have memories surface as a result of therapy.

I will not deny that at all; who am I to say who remembers what?

The fact of the matter is, though, most men do not. Heck, quite a few don't really care. Do you need any more evidence than the size of the restoration movement?

I will not deny it that circumcision is mutilation, at is needless pain inflicted on a baby.

If the men don't remember, nor they don't care, can it really be called "worse than torture?"

I say, no.

The way I see it, circumcision is wrong whether men can remember the pain inflicted on them or not.

I think we waste our time trying to convince men that they were "tortured." They will laugh in our faces, and I say, with good reason.

Instead of focusing "how bad" circumcision is, why not focus on the fact that it's bad, whether men can remember it or not?

I think we might find more converts this way than trying to insinuate that they're in denyial.

They may be, but no one likes to be told we know what they're feelings are.

Can they remember it? Is it "torture" for them?

How do you know?

It's not the point I was trying to make.

My point was : if you don't have conscious memory of the event that doesn't mean you don't suffer from it. It's a testable hypothesis to say neonatal circumcision can affect someone's personality. Especially when medecine recognizes that infant pain may have long term effects for the future adult.

by Ronald Goldman (author of Circumcision: The Hidden Trauma) :

"But the effects of the operation are not restricted to the sexual sphere, since psychologically, circumcision is a trauma which can result in a great variety of post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms, as can other traumas. Those include learned helplessness, tendencies towards sado-masochistic behaviors, impotence, lost of trust, avoidance of intimacy due to fear, rage, domestic violence, rape, child sexual abuse, suicide, and a range of psychosomatic disorders. The author admits that he is only suggesting possibilities, but numerous authors have showed that historically, single incidents of trauma have had practically unlimited pernicious effects."

I'm not saying that this is 100% for 100% of circumcised men but I think this is interesting.

reg anon
January 10th, 2010, 13:10
It's not the point I was trying to make.

My point was : if you don't have conscious memory of the event that doesn't mean you don't suffer from it. It's a testable hypothesis to say neonatal circumcision can affect someone's personality. Especially when medecine recognizes that infant pain may have long term effects for the future adult.

by Ronald Goldman (author of Circumcision: The Hidden Trauma) :

"But the effects of the operation are not restricted to the sexual sphere, since psychologically, circumcision is a trauma which can result in a great variety of post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms, as can other traumas. Those include learned helplessness, tendencies towards sado-masochistic behaviors, impotence, lost of trust, avoidance of intimacy due to fear, rage, domestic violence, rape, child sexual abuse, suicide, and a range of psychosomatic disorders. The author admits that he is only suggesting possibilities, but numerous authors have showed that historically, single incidents of trauma have had practically unlimited pernicious effects."

I'm not saying that this is 100% for 100% of circumcised men but I think this is interesting.

Yes, let's not get off track here.

This issue of brain development, PTSD and consequences on infant circumcision is the real topic here.

I think this is a VERY strong avenue to go down when talking to people about circumcision.

"So, let me get this straight. You purchased all these room decorations to 'boost your child's brain development', but you're going to subject that sam brain to excruciating pain right after birth? have you thought about what impact that could have?"

It is VERY difficult to come up with a scenario that trauma and pain are good for a brain, unless somehow you think it primes the brain for a lifetime of pain (eg the "learn about the world early" school of thought.")

ctrclckws
January 10th, 2010, 17:09
Hey,I wasn't circumcised by sword. :p

But you were almost circumcised by force, when you were old enough to remember it.

By your comments here, the near circ still caused great trauma.

madbr3991
May 3rd, 2010, 03:58
Circumcision is life long torture.

i was circumcised when i was 4 (the doctor tricked my mom). i still have vivid nightmares of the circumcision. i was on a table i couldn't move i couldn't scream. it was so insanely painful. in the nightmares i experience all the pain and i have this nightmare 1 or 2 times a month. when ever i have the nightmare it makes me angry for most of that day. and every time i see my circumcision ring i cant help but remember what was done to me.

and the fact that my mom dose not regret what was done to me. she still believes that she was helping me. she keeps telling me that she thinks its cleaner. my mom has told me the only reason i wasn't circumcised at birth was because she dident have any money for it. she then told me to my face "if you had been circumcised at birth you woudent be angry about it". my mom then told me to go see a shrink. because she thinks something is wrong in my mind. people should be angry that they were circumcised.

just because a person might not remember his circumcision dosent make circumcision right. it makes it even more wrong because. if you dont remember, you dont question it and you will do it to your baby.

i will NEVER let my child be circumcised. i will not let anyone torture any child of mine.

admin
May 4th, 2010, 00:27
she keeps telling me that she thinks its cleaner. my mom has told me the only reason i wasn't circumcised at birth was because she dident have any money for it. she then told me to my face "if you had been circumcised at birth you woudent be angry about it". my mom then told me to go see a shrink. because she thinks something is wrong in my mind.

Lordy, that's annoying. Who on earth would be happy about having the best part of his penis amputated without consent?

SwedishBoy
May 15th, 2010, 06:14

This is just as said earlier VERY interesting and im pretty sure its true. It wont affect everyone ofcourse, but I have a cousin that got circed TWICE because the doctor made a loose cut the first time and the parents wanted to take off more just to get the circ effect... dont really know what to say there im already pissed :mad:.
Anyway, he looks like me, hes pretty smart also but he is VERY dont know the word for it, "feminine?". Its hard to explain, but its pretty obvious that circumsision has made his mind different then it should have been. Hes 24 years, virgin and has never been in sexual contact with a girl even though he looks pretty good, nice grades and a good job. Its like hes avoiding it, although he can masturbate and watch porn probably ;).

Havent spoken with him about this, since im younger I look up to him a bit and cant really tell him what to do but im restoring and if everything goes well I will definately give him the tip about restoration. Can also say that this about avoiding etc has affected me to, im 20 now and good looking have had many girls hearts falling for me but I dont know how, why etc and I never realized it but I was thinking when 17-18: "Why dont I have a girlfriend? what am I doing wrong? why am I avoiding it?".

Now when 20, still young and analyzing I am VERY sure that circumsision is the matter and thats why I have been avoiding the issue. I had sex before, Ive kissed hundreds of girls at parties etc but I havent had "that much" sex and since living in sweden everyone is intact I can SURELY see the difference in personalities and enjoyment of sex. Some of my friends are insane and all they think about is sex, for me thats impossible at the moment...

Sure this sounds like im just a young confused guy but I can definately tell you that there is a mind difference, its hard to explain in words and this is observasions in my own theory ive done in my 20 years living and experiencing. But I definately think my life would look different if not circumsised, or I dont think, I know. Although I have a good life now, the only thing missing is a partner and a good sexlife which I hope to get back...

I give reservations for some "not correct English" and maybe a bit "sissy" text but I hope my message got through :rolleyes:. It would be SO much nicer if these f*ck*ng Doctors could tell the parents the TRUTH and the NEGATIVE effects of circumsision and not only the "positive" effects just to get some extra money. Anyway, gotta go cool myself of with some nice food, later guys and as said, this is VERY interesting.

PS sorry for OT, but thought it was nice to write this off my mind ;).

AnonS5
January 29th, 2011, 13:08
It's all about $$$, guilt and denial. People can't open their eyes because they're blinded by all the stacks of money in their face they made off of circumcision, because they're too guilty to recognize what they did was wrong so they deny it to spare themselves guilt and grief, and circumcised men denying it so they don't grieve as they see us and dont want to recognize the feelings and pain we go through.

Circumcision, no genital mutilation, is a torture that lasts longer than the torture chamber.

slickskin
March 19th, 2011, 23:58

It doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? If it was just people hating to admit that they are wrong it would be one thing. It is such a sensitive and controversial topic since it is directly related to sexuality, and in some cases religious customs. For a period, I was in denial about being circumcised myself and wouldn't accept it for what it is. Most people are just stupid and will believe everything that they are told, and want to conform.
Of course there is money. Of course hospitals are going to encourage this procedure because it's an easy pay off.

Dasher
March 20th, 2011, 00:32
Circumcision is child abuse that is approved by U.S. public health agencies and the American medical profession.

Circumcision is worse than torture, because torture is transitory, and circumcision lasts a lifetime -- unless your restore your foreskin.

The U.S. is the only nation to practice widespread routine infant circumcision for non-religious reasons. It also has the highest divorce rate, highest AIDS rate and incarceration rate (of Western nations), and highest number of serial killers in the world. Its rates of ADD and ADHD are staggering. So are its PTSD statistics. Oh, I almost forgot: the U.S. is also a world leader in erectile dysfunction.

Do you want to bet that at least some of the dark side of America might be due to its high circumcision rate?

AnonS5
March 20th, 2011, 06:43
Psychological impact of circumcision: http://www.cirp.org/library/psych/goldman1/

It is genital mutilation, worse than torture, rape, child abuse, sexual abuse, sexual assault, sick, painful, evil, there are so little words to describe it. Horrible, sick, sad!

PTSD, Depression, anxiety, denial, anger, aggressiveness, bullying, war, and etc are a few psychological impacts from the trauma of genitally mutilated countries and people.

soft-cover recovery agent
March 21st, 2011, 19:48
In simple legal terms, it is assault, and could possibly be argued to be battery as well. However until we de-radicalize much of religion in the U.S. this sort of thing won't be viewed through the lens of assault. Good luck on that one though, as the Pilgrims landed on these shores because they were radical and the rest of the English knew it.

As a side-note, I think Massachusetts is in the process of rebelling against anything Puritan. It certainly seems to be off in the opposite direction from which the Puritans were wanting to go.

gravester
March 22nd, 2011, 08:20
What happened to San Francisco's efforts to ban circumcision?

Unregistered
July 11th, 2011, 23:24
"The very act of shredding and mutilating a baby's penis with knives, clamps, electrocautery guns, or fingernails affects the serial circumciser's brain chemistry like a drug. The craving for this neurological stimulus is an addiction as real and as irresistible as an addiction to heroin. Carving, crushing, burning, and slicing a baby's penis, reducing it to gore, getting his hands covered with penis blood, and filling his ears with shrieks and screams of agony and terror are the potent drug cocktail the serial circumciser needs to make himself feel alive."

"For a brief moment they are God, with total control over another's sexuality. It's the perfect crime. Sanctioned by unsuspecting, misinformed parents, the hospital, and an ignorant society, they hide under the guise of a respected medical profession. And the consequences only appear years later when they are long gone and their trail cold."

"What turned me off the whole circumcision scene was to read a report recently about a bunch of men nursing erections as they watched a shrieking baby having his foreskin cut away. When I contemplate the perfection and symmetry of my little boy's body, including his penis, I feel a sense of pride at having produced such a beauty, and I shudder that there are perverts, like I describe, out there, who would actually take pleasure in marring his perfection."

Source: sexuallymutilatedchild.org

Unregistered
July 11th, 2011, 23:28
life.com/image/74949647

Notice the male peer looking on laughing.