PDA

View Full Version : Time to start charging felonies for genital mutilation/aka circumcision

Surgeon General
May 14th, 2010, 20:35
Sadly I believe the only way to start getting the message across more strongly to puritan America who attempt to curb and destroy your sex life by among other things genital mutilation - aka circumcision and not even allowing nudists in swimming pools and beaches (like is accepted and allowed in free europe : see link below)
dubya dubya dubyaDOTnaturistaDOTcz/naturrelax/nodropedienDOThtm

is to have the surgeon generals office start telling doctors and pediatricians that they could be facing felony charges for performing genital mutilation on minors under the age of 18 even with parental consent (perhaps 16 with express consent from minor and parents such as body piercing standards usually allow).

I myself was dumb enough to pierce my tongue in my 20s and besides the pain it caused - I was at least able to take it out and have to accept full responsibility for my decision. For circumcision as an infant where you have no choice is unacceptable for religious or any other excuse in my opinion and needs to be enforced as a crime at least as bad possible worse than rape (there you at least have the pill after and/or abortion as alternatives if a pregnancy occurs - at least without physical trauma)

Joseph
May 14th, 2010, 21:11
The problem with having surgeon generals say things like that is that, like the latest FGM advocacy by the AAP, it's not exactly law yet.

Statutes of limitation exist that legally protect doctors who continue in the business of mutilating children.

The law needs to change, or, enough angry men need to challenge the law and force legislators to change it.

z726
May 14th, 2010, 23:05
The law doesn't need to be changed - it needs to be enforced.

No state in the US has any law exempting forced circumcision from existing definitions of assault and/or battery, nor does any medical association exempt it from definitions of unnecessary surgery (they just wouldn't admit that it is, to protect their members).

The question is, even if government were to decide forced circumcision were illegal, would they be able to effectively crack down on it if the victims were too young to possibly file a criminal complaint? For now, all a victim can do is to sue when he's old enough - and that's only if he's aware of the possibility, and if he's bothered by what happened.

madbr3991
May 15th, 2010, 19:58
who do you punish the parent and or the doctors? remember our prisons have a maximum capacity.
when people realize that circumcision is sexual assault. they like us will demand punishment. this will cause a backlash but it needs to happen. but most likely the issue will be swept under the rug. a few doctors will be punished and circumcision will just disappear. and doctors and hospitals will forget that they ever preformed circumcision.

Joseph
May 15th, 2010, 20:41
It is doctors who go to school for 12 or more years.

Therefore, it is doctors who should know better, not parents.

It is fraudulent and abusive to be circumcising healthy, non-consenting children in more ways than one.

1. Reaping profit from a medically unnecessary procedure is already medical fraud. A patient can sue a doctor for malpractice if he finds out a procedure he was charged for was medically unnecessary.

2. The above situation implies deception, on one's body. But I'm not sure what this is called when the parents of a healthy child are deceived into letting the doctor perform medically unwarranted procedure. I'm tempted to call it abuse to take advantage of the fact that a child can't speak for himself.

3. Circumcision is often defended as a "parent's choice." But if there is no medical condition that commands a circumcision, what choice is there to make? How can doctors even be performing circumcisions, let alone eliciting some sort of "decision" from parents? I think this is clear abuse of power. Doctors should KNOW better, whether a procedure is necessary in a healthy child or not, not his parents. Parents are naive. Parents didn't go to school for 12 years. How is it a doctor is suddenly stupid about this matter? It is abuse to take advantage of a parent's naivette to further one's trade. Doctors are seen as these all-knowing gods, and parents only wanting the best for their child, take their word for it. I can't see this as anything else as abuse of power.

Circumcision is pawned off as a "parent's choice." But up until now, circumcision was the only non-medical procedure doctors were obliged to carry out on a parent's whim. (If the AAP gets its way, doctors will now also offer FEMALE circumcision...) But what's the limit to procedures doctors are obliged to perform upon parental request? "Just because I'm the parent?" You'll find that circumcision is the only one.

In the end, the bottom line is clear: A doctor's duty is to MEDICINE, not to cultural/religious practice. Doctors have no business performing non-medical procedures on non-consenting individuals, and parents have no business asking them to. Doctors have a duty to REFUSE to do this, as the prime dictum of medicine is "First do no harm." A doctor's duty is the health and well-being of his PATIENT, not the patient's PARENTS.

It is clearly doctors who bear full responsibility for the human rights catastrophe enveloping our country today.

The day is nearing when these greedy, disgusting charlatans will be held responsible.

manual
May 16th, 2010, 14:51
For a while i was trying to find out why it stopped in europe in hopes of somehow applying it here. Turns out doctors found it caused more problems then it solved, naturally the insurance companies didn't want to pay for something that will cost them more then it saves them. So they didn't cover the expense of circumcision. Most parents don't have much money so they can't really pay it themselves.

The easiest, best and most efficient method to change someone's behavior is to appeal to their sense of greed. If insurance companies won't pay, people won't do it. I don't know why they still cover it and I don't know how to get them to stop. But that is the way to go, not arresting people.