PDA

View Full Version : While We're Striving to Preserve Circumcision...

Joseph
June 6th, 2010, 21:04
Quite random, really... I just barely came across this practice.

Could you imagine studies that began with "Trepanning prevents..." ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trepanning

:rolleyes:

pi314
June 7th, 2010, 04:31
I do believe there was a time when cutting someone's frontal lobe out was a regular practice for those believed to be crazy.

Aspie
June 7th, 2010, 12:16
I do believe there was a time when cutting someone's frontal lobe out was a regular practice for those believed to be crazy.

That wasn't too long ago actually JFK's sister Rosemary Kennedy had a lobotomy just because she was moody it killed the poor girl :( yeah her body was alive and stayed alive but the person that existed died because of her father.

{mod: I'll repeat some hearsay that the lobotomy was related to her sexually acting out.}

photenman
June 8th, 2010, 14:34
Joseph, I am upset that you would question the merits of trepanning or making a burr hole in the brain. Everyone in my religion has a hole like this. It helps us identify each other and we all think treppaned brains look better than untrepanned brains.

More importantly, brain drilling is a sacred rite of my religion. God told one my ancestors that he had to agree to drill all boys' brains (but not girls' brains) or we would get no land and the boys would be excluded from my great religion. God is generous. We know God said this because it was written down by someone else many years later. Since my ancestor made a deal, we have to comply with it until the end of time.

Plus it has great health benefits. Imagine how how many more headaches there would be and how much more insanity without it.

It's true that boys did not like getting their brains drilled at puberty, but now we do it the week after they have been born and there have been no further complaints.

There have been reports of a few deaths from the drilling but we attribute them to other causes like bleeding and infection and don't count them. We are going to keep drilling anyway because God commanded it and God is great.

Anyway, this brain drilling has been approved by the American Academy of Pediatricians! Many of them have drilled brains themselves. After decades of thought, they have developed a policy on this. They say that it is appropriate for parents to have their sons' brains drilled if the parents want for religious, cultural or personal reasons. Why's it's OK even if we just want our sons to look like us. AAP says it's not harmful and they are authorities on medicine. They used to say it was not necessary, period, but now they say it has potential benefits. They do say to use anesthetics after other scientists learned that the drilling hurts infants a lot, but the actual brain drillers say it's not needed.

Your implied suggestion that we should stop drilling into our boys' brains is an assault upon our absolute parental and religious rights!

P.S. Good news, you can join our religion by getting your own burr hole. It's just a little nick in the brain.

finman
June 9th, 2010, 10:26
JFK's sister Rosemary Kennedy had a lobotomy just because she was moody it killed the poor girl

It cured the moodiness (or sexual activity if mod is right) then...;)

OracleYori
June 9th, 2010, 15:13
yeah her body was alive and stayed alive but the person that existed died because of her father. [/I]

I had heard this on the history channel; that their father regretted it until he died.

Barceno
June 9th, 2010, 22:11
That wasn't too long ago actually JFK's sister Rosemary Kennedy had a lobotomy just because she was moody it killed the poor girl :( yeah her body was alive and stayed alive but the person that existed died because of her father.

{mod: I'll repeat some hearsay that the lobotomy was related to her sexually acting out.}

Well, that was lobotomy #2. My mom grew up down the street from the Kennedys and she is still disgusted from the accounts she heard at the time. Can't say whether it's true, but the scuttlebutt in the neighborhood was that lobotomy was tried twice.

Rosemary was a difficult and rebellious teen. Joe Kennedy allowed himself to be talked into letting her be lobotomized, but the first surgery only served to make her even more problematic. She became borderline retarded but her libido didn't decrease at all... she took to escaping through her upstairs window to run around with boys and was given to severe temper tantrums. Her parents feared she would repeatedly get pregnant and not understand the consequences. So, back to the doctor who speculated that they had been too timid with the first lobotomy, since the procedure was still new. They would go in more aggressively. This time they excised enough frontal lobe that she was docile... and useless.

70 years later, the concept of "children's bodily rights" within human rights is still in its infancy.

photenman
June 9th, 2010, 22:55
Joseph, you made an important discovery finding this.

Wikipedia says about trepanning/brain drilling, "Cave paintings indicate that people believed the practice would cure epileptic seizures, migraines, and mental disorders."

Wikipedia says about circumcision, "Early depictions of circumcision are found in cave paintings." Another site says that in 1870, "Lewis A. Sayre announces to the AMA that circumcision cures ... epilepsy". http://circumstitions.com/Chronology.html#masturbation