PDA

View Full Version : A Life of Relish

cobra
June 21st, 2010, 01:36
My philosophy as I mature and understand things more deeply, is to lead a life of relish. It is part of the reason I restore, but there is more to it than that. As the old saying goes, there is more to life than sex, and there are other things we have been deprived of in the name of progress.

One of these things is music.

But, you say, we have more access to music now than ever, with internet radio stations, ipods, digital downloads, radio broadcasts. In a way, this is true, but what some of you kids may not understand is that you are not hearing the "real" sound of the music you are listening to on your mp3 players and internet downloads.

The same way that you are not experiencing the full breadth and subtle sensations of sexual feeling with circumcised cocks, you are not hearing the full audible range of the music you are listening to compressed as it is into a digital format for mass consumption.

You listen... but you cannot RELISH it. You cannot indulge in it, just as you cannot indulge your senses in the full body explosion of a real orgasm with half the skin of your penises missing.

I'm talking about vinyl records.

Yes, I have a large collection and I indulge myself in full analog sound every day as I sit in my office and work, or read, or participate in this and other internet forums. I listen to rock, indie, folk, even a bit of classical now and then. I've gotten so used to analog sound that digitized music makes my brain hurt. It sounds so fake in comparison. I tolerate cd's in my truck, but when I am home, it has to be vinyl.

Here is an article that explains why vinyl sounds so much better.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm

And it is not so much that the sound is cleaner. Sometimes it's not. Old vinyl can develop a crackle. But it sounds more "real", and that's what matters to me.

I have no appetite for artificiality. I was not satisfied with stunted sex, and I am similarly not satisfied with artificial digital sound or artificial processed foods. I'm no hippy freak. I have a computer. I have an ipad. But I also have an appetite for a life of relish, to indulge myself. Not out of hedonism, but simply joy.

We only get one ride through this life. Why not take the scenic route?

cobra
June 21st, 2010, 01:39
Here is a good article of weaning yourself off processed foods:

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/nutrition/wean-yourself-processed-foods-7-steps

greg_b
June 22nd, 2010, 14:59
Relish....hmmm, isn't that basically processed pickles?

Kidding aside, nice thoughts to ponder.

Regards

cobra
June 23rd, 2010, 02:50
One thing I think is ridiculous and pathetic is people who download camcorder tapings of movie releases. It's not even the bootleg aspect of it, but someone depriving themselves to save a couple bucks or because they are too busy to set aside a couple hours to get dressed, go out and enjoy the whole movie going experience. They are depriving themselves. What's so great about watching a video of a film on a tiny 240 X 480 square, one that's dark and grainy with the tops of everyones heads cut off and tinny sound? Get off the computer, get outside, and go spend a few bucks to see it right. You're only depriving yourself the full experience!

We should also set aside at least 1 full hour for ourselves every day... no matter how busy we are... just a moment to do anything we want to do, be it meditate, read a book, or just lay in bed and listen to some tunes. Seems like all we do nowadays is workworkwork and runrunrun, but stress is about the worst thing for our health. We all need to decompress. We all need that little moment just to breath.

Does anyone else have any ideas on living a more enjoyable and full life, something that makes you happy and fulfilled? Share it with us here.

Z-bop
June 23rd, 2010, 12:20
Multiple sources state that in general, men are not successful until after they reach their 40's. I guess once we have a slight decrease in testosterone, we are able to step back and see/experience more things out there ! ! ! Other than holes to stick mr. happy into.

Does anyone else have any ideas on living a more enjoyable and full life, something that makes you happy and fulfilled? Share it with us here.
I'm glad I waited into my mid 30's to have a child. I've slowed down some... some, and can sit back and enjoy life and learning with my child. So I'd say to others: Postpone having kids, ignore your parents and what others may say. Once you have a kid, it does change things. Don't revolve everything around your child, and make sure you've gone out and had your fun before you commit to raising a child.

Another thing. Allow yourself some time to be silent. Listen to the environment, especially in nature. Much "music" out there. Also, be silent with others and allow yourself to really listen to THEM. Don't just wait to talk, really connect with another person. Learn to see things from their perspective. Many people have great stories to tell, wether they know it or not... much better than the stories artificially created on the television.

greg_b
July 2nd, 2010, 20:05
Learning to relax has been a great help to me on several levels. Not just relax physically, though that is part of it. But mentally too. Breathing techniques can help with this.

Regards

jninja
July 3rd, 2010, 23:46
Multiple sources state that in general, men are not successful until after they reach their 40's. I guess once we have a slight decrease in testosterone, we are able to step back and see/experience more things out there ! ! ! Other than holes to stick mr. happy into.

I'm glad I waited into my mid 30's to have a child. I've slowed down some... some, and can sit back and enjoy life and learning with my child. So I'd say to others: Postpone having kids, ignore your parents and what others may say. Once you have a kid, it does change things. Don't revolve everything around your child, and make sure you've gone out and had your fun before you commit to raising a child.

Another thing. Allow yourself some time to be silent. Listen to the environment, especially in nature. Much "music" out there. Also, be silent with others and allow yourself to really listen to THEM. Don't just wait to talk, really connect with another person. Learn to see things from their perspective. Many people have great stories to tell, wether they know it or not... much better than the stories artificially created on the television.

I disagree with a blanket statement about waiting. For some people yes, some people no. Myself, I'm not your typical 22 year old. I don't drink, I hate alcohol. I don't party, I really don't socialize outside my group of close friends. I hate "going out" for an evening, I'd much rather stay in and watch a movie or play a board game. Example. Last weekend at a family party while all the other young adults my age were goofing around and drinking and being "typical young adults" I was sitting with their parents discussing coffee and local history. I've always felt I have a very adult outlook on life, always thinking of things in terms of the future instead of just the present.

Not a slight against you or anything but I hate when people say "have your fun before having kids" or something along those lines. I don't think you can just one day decide that your going to give up all of your selfish feelings and actions and start taking care of another human being and living your life for them. I think you either have it or you don't. I honestly hate doing things for myself. If someone told me it would make them happy if I repeatedly punched myself in the face I would probably do it. If there is ever a situation where doing something will make someone else happy and me suffer I'll do it. I've talked about my coaching high school baseball before and this summer I've realized that I enjoy going to the kids' summer games and watching with their parents. I'd rather spend a day doing yard work instead of just about anything else. Sometimes I feel bad like I'm missing out by not doing all the young people stuff that a lot of my friends do but then I remember that I have no interest in doing them. I enjoy doing all those things that "old" people do.

That was possibly, probably, way off topic but it's just something that I've always wanted to say.

Americut
July 5th, 2010, 05:27
Concerning vinyl. Unfortunatly it is very hard (usually impossible) to find the music that the lady and I listen to, on vinyl. Much of it never has been and never will be released on vinyl. Typically, the LPs we do find are over $50, before shipping fees. For this, CD is what we get and almost all of them must be ordered online. Between us, we have around 400 CDs, but only 3 LPs (we've lost auctions for 3 others). In some rare cases, certain CDs cost more than the LPs. Right now there is certain CD album on ebay for $105.66 total, and it's not even brand new. Fortunately, we got our copy for cheaper :). Recently, we've been trying to get more LPs but obviously it isn't very practical.

I liked the food article. While reading, I was actually eating some coconut that we cracked open and cleaned last night. Somewhere during the article, I was inclined to slow down and pay more attention to what it was like to eat it. Intense texture! haha. As for processed foods, my diet and overall health improved a lot once I moved out of mom's house, had my own kitchen and did my own shopping. I guess my mom just didn't/doesn't have the time or energy for cooking from scratch with fresh ingredients, but I sure do.