PDA

View Full Version : Anyone happen to know about washing machine noises?

wifeandmama
February 14th, 2011, 12:44
My washer is making a strange noise during agitation. It makes its normal agitation sounds, but then also sometimes makes an extra "clunk" of sorts. It's random, but frequent. It happens at both the high and low agitation speeds. Washer fills, spins, drains and does everything else it's supposed to normally. I'm just not sure what this sound is. It is a Whirlpool, about 5 years old.

Little video I took of the noise. Anyone have any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox0z4cabQLA

admin
February 14th, 2011, 13:02
My washer is making a strange noise during agitation. It makes its normal agitation sounds, but then also sometimes makes an extra "clunk" of sorts. It's random, but frequent. It happens at both the high and low agitation speeds. Washer fills, spins, drains and does everything else it's supposed to normally. I'm just not sure what this sound is. It is a Whirlpool, about 5 years old.

Little video I took of the noise. Anyone have any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox0z4cabQLA

The drum is held in place by a suspension system. You probably have a broken spring. If so it's a pain in the ass to get at, but like nothing in parts.

I had a dryer stop working due to a 5 cent spring in a startup clutch. Never did get ahold of the right spring. I had to buy a bag of 50 assorted springs and stack two together to replace the one broken one.

There are helpful repair forums that helped me find my problem. They can probably help you.

Good Luck,
-Ron

Avanat
February 22nd, 2011, 02:55
My parents had a Maytag that was doing that too. It was the bearings that spun the drum, they had seized, so it was getting really loud like a jet taking off when it did the spin cycle.
It was a front loader if that matters.

soft-cover recovery agent
March 12th, 2011, 02:04
Hey Avanat. I lived in the laundry room most of the time when I lived with my parents. The washer after a while sounded like it was an air plane readying for take off and then taking off once it got going. It was a top loaded General Electric natural gas washer. I think my mom still has it. It would do that when it was not loaded with equal weight distribution. I think Ron is probably correct about springs or whatever balance mechanism is at play in it.

Hope your washer lands safely without incident :D

jeff71913
March 20th, 2011, 00:56
I would consider this a good excuse to buy a new one.

jeffrey.