PDA

View Full Version : Treating hernia in a man's scrotum

Going Hooded
September 11th, 2011, 19:42
How would you treat a hernia in a man's scrotum? (This isn't for me, a friends father has this.)

jeff71913
September 11th, 2011, 21:48
I didn't have a hernia in my scrotum, but I did have a bilateral hernia in the groin. This was due to many years of heavy lifting. I had surgery to correct the problem and have never had any problems since. I tolerated the surgery very well and was back at work in two weeks; no lifting for six weeks, minimum. The only scare was when my scrotum turned totally black a couple of days after the surgery. The surgeon told me to apply an ice pack and the bruising went right out. Actually, he had told me to use an ice pack earlier, but I didn't do it.

finman
September 12th, 2011, 16:56
The only scare was when my scrotum turned totally black

Jeff, why did you worry? Many men have black scrotums and they do not seem concerned at all.

However, it reminds me of a method of foreskin restoration which involves tying a rock to your remaining foreskin and using its weight to enlarge the foreskin. It is a method successfully used in Africa, although if the rock is too large the only similarity will be that your dick turns black, if it's not already, although it would then match your scrotum.

jeff71913
September 12th, 2011, 21:30
HEHEHE!!!!!!!
That's a good one!
When your scrotum is normally white and it turns jet black :eek: then there is cause for concern. Actually, what was really scary was that it was so black that it had a green hue to it. Naturally, I thought I had gangrene. The doctor assured me that this would be extremely rare. I didn't have bruising anywhere else. It was very strange.

z726
September 12th, 2011, 23:25
How would you treat a hernia in a man's scrotum? (This isn't for me, a friends father has this.)

This would be a question for a urologist to answer; I don't think there are home remedies for an inguinal hernia. Surgery is the commonly used method of repair.

mje1986
September 24th, 2011, 15:18
Has your father been diagnosed with a hernia in his scrotum by a doctor?

If there's some kind of lump or swelling it really needs to be evaluated by a doctor if it hasn't been already. A hernia can cause a scrotal lump, but it could also be several other things (varicocele, hydrocele, spermatic cyst, testicular cancer, etc).

An inguinal hernia starts up higher in the pelvis and travels through the inguinal canal. This is the canal leading into the scrotum from the abdominal cavity and is the path that a boy's testicles travel through when they descend into the scrotum during his development (usually) before birth. The canal is usually closed off by a layer of muscle and tissue, and a hernia occurs when this layer develops a separation or defect through which the contents of the abdominal cavity (usually fatty tissue and possibly the intestines) protrude.

Generally, it is possible to "reduce" the hernia, meaning you can either push the hernia back inside the abdominal wall or simply lie down flat, causing the contents to slip back inside the abdomen and the hernia to disappear. However, it will recur as soon as you stand up, strain or lift anything.

If the protrusion has reached the inside of your dad's scrotum, then it's progressed pretty far and really needs to be addressed by a doctor. With any inguinal hernia there is always the risk of strangulation - the loops of intestine get caught in the hernia and the defect closes tightly around them, cutting off the blood supply to that part of the intestine and causing it to die off. This is a serious complication and almost always results in the need for emergency surgery. If he has a sudden increase in pain or finds that he is unable to reduce the hernia by the methods I described above, he needs to go to the nearest emergency room right away.

A hernia repair surgery involves making sure the hernia is reduced, and then patching the defect in the abdominal wall with a synthetic mesh which holds everything in place. This can be done "open" (via traditional incisions) or "laparoscopically" (via small incisions higher up in the abdomen through which a camera and several small tools are inserted). Laparoscopic surgery carries a somewhat higher risk of complications and a slightly higher risk of the hernia reoccurring after the repair, but has the huge advantage of less post-op pain and much quicker recovery time.

I just had bilateral inguinal hernias repaired laparoscopically on September 2nd and I am doing great!

I'd recommend you make sure your dad sees a doctor and has this addressed.

jeffbhodapp
September 27th, 2011, 18:57
The best thing you can do for your friend is to tell him to see a doctor. There isnt anything anyone online can do for him. Drive him to the doctor yourself if you have too.