Foreskin Restoration / Intactivism Network

Go Back   Foreskin Restoration / Intactivism Network > FORESKIN RESTORATION > General Restoration Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendars Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 27th, 2012

Default Itchy Outer Skin turns to Dried out/scaly Outer Skin, heals, process repeats

Been having an issue about the past month now.
I've been retaining with varieties of tapes for the past years and never run into an issue so "severe", so this is surprising.

Lately my outer skin has been extremely itchy, to the point where I have to excuse myself and leave a room, go to the bathroom and give it a "scratch down" for up to minutes. No sexual innuendos/masturbation jokes here, very funny.
I've waken up in the middle of the night with an extreme itch as well for example, and had to give it a "scratch down" as well for quite some time until the itch subsided, but this leaves a burning, painful sensation to the skin which has reddened.

The source of the itchiness came from the area of skin under the retaining tape, and has spread to the whole outer skin as it became itchy as a whole. Right now, my entire outer skin is scaly/dried out, but not itchy. This itchiness seems to have spread to the testicles and inner thighs at times too, and no, I don't believe this is poison ivy or something of that nature.

This has naturally caused the outer skin to deteriorate and become scaly and dried out, and has prevented me from retaining/tugging as well as making even masturbation painful, as the scaly skin is painful to the touch.

So I waited it out days without any retaining/tugging, of course hoping for it to heal so I could resume my routines. However, as the skin was healing or almost healed, it started to become itchy again, and the process repeated to the "scratch downs" all over again.

I've tried covering the entire genitals with Cetaphil multiple times, but that doesn't seem to do much, as the skin was still itchy with that applied.
I've thought the problem may be from all the pubic hair (hairs on shaft getting stuck under retaining tape causing itchiness possibly), so I completely shaved it, but the process still seems to repeat.

It's become quite a pain to not have a retainer keeping my skin over the glans, I have to constantly cross my legs or "slouch" over so that the penis gets "buried" and the glans is out of harm's way. Not a good look.
I'm worried that this constant re-healing (and interruption of the healing process due to re-emerging itch) of the dried, scaly skin will cause permanent scars/marks or dark spots.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you fix it?

Last edited by siog; April 27th, 2012 at 08:37.
Old April 27th, 2012

Default Re: Itchy Outer Skin turns to Dried out/scaly Outer Skin, heals, process repeats

A problem area starting under the tape seems to indicate an allergic reaction. Did you change the kind of tape you used? Did you use alcohol or soap to remove residual tape adhesive? Does the itching returns before going back to taping? If you cannot find the cause to quickly eliminate it, you should not wait to contact a dermatologist.
I do wish you a quick and permanent recovery.
Alfred.
Old April 27th, 2012

Default Re: Itchy Outer Skin turns to Dried out/scaly Outer Skin, heals, process repeats

Quote:
Originally Posted by siog View Post
I've thought the problem may be from all the pubic hair (hairs on shaft getting stuck under retaining tape causing itchiness possibly), so I completely shaved it, but the process still seems to repeat.
I remember shaving my pubic hairs, but not the scrotum. I had intense itching and spots developing. I only cut hairs down now, and not too short. Probably has nothing to do with your issue, but thought Id mention it. Good luck in finding something problem-free.
Old April 28th, 2012
Administrator

allergic reaction to the tape sounds like a good first guess. Allergies can develop over time with repeated exposure. You could try applying the tape to a different part of your body to see if the same thing happens there, like the underside of your forearm. If the same thing happens, that adds support to the allergy idea.

It may take more than a few days to clear up.

Carefully considering any changes in your routine would be helpful. Sometimes small changes that seem to have nothing to do with restoring, can be the cause.

You may want to see a doctor. They can identify and do tests that can confirm, or at least rule out, causes. Yeast, eczema, dermitis are possibilities.

Regards

"The foreskin isn't the wrapper...it's the candy!"
Old April 28th, 2012

Had something similar happen to me using tape from an at home medical kit about a year ago. Consequently, this was my first and only attempt at taping. Suffered the redness and itchiness you described. It took approximately 3-5 days to form. Started with a slight itch before the redness appeared. Transferred to all areas in extended contact with the adhesive (thighs, etc.). Once the redness appeared the itchiness was unbearable.

I stopped all taping and manipulation for 1-2 weeks before it fully subsided (the unbearable itchiness lessened in a few days, but itchiness lasted until the end). Slight swelling occurred during the healing process. Found nothing to subdue the itchiness unfortunately. I assumed it to be an allergic reaction.

Could be something similar. It's been a while but I think I also had the flaking you described. I'd recommend going to the doctor if it doesn't subside quickly. Hope that helps.
Old April 28th, 2012
bsidney

If you are having an allergic reaction you should see a doctor. Also, Benadryl is very good for allergic reactions. It has helped me with some allergic reactions to medicines until I could see a doctor. The allergic reactions for me have been on my hands. Some people are allergic to some types of medical tape. I get a rash when some types are applied to my skin anywhere on my body. If you are having an allergic reaction the Benadryl should give you some relief, but maybe not all, from the itching. I had an allergic reaction to a prescription medicine once and the itching and swelling of my hands lasted for a month. They make a Benadryl cream and you might try that too if the directions allow it. Hope my experiences help you.
Old May 21st, 2012

Thanks for all of your replies.

The past weeks I have experimented with the cause of the issue.

I do not believe it is an allergic reaction, but the skin's natural reaction when it takes on a scaly, scab-like rough texture after the skin has been damaged and is healing. As an after effect, the skin then gets extremely itchy, which makes the "rough" texture even worse.

The past years, I've been scrapping together whatever I could find to use as retaining tape, and unfortunately I've been all out of medical tape for quite some time. So, I then started using gray duct tape. Yes, sounds painful, but I was continuously able to create a removable retainer out of the duct tape, which still had semi-stick to it until a week or two later when it dried out and a new "duct tape retainer" needed to be created.

But the duct tape has also been scarce here (and I didn't want to go get more due to it not being ideal anyway for retaining - the thick nature of duct tape I do believe prevents the outer skin from "breathing" and thus less natural moisture is formed).

So I moved on to black vinyl electrical tape. Strangely, I remember using it to retain in the past and having no problem, but perhaps not it exclusively. This is the thing that has been causing the issue. It's a very flexible tape and keeps me covered tightly without worry of anything falling off or slipping/peeling off.

However, about an hour or two later, the itch reaction begins. A natural craving to scratch the part around and under where the tape is applied, strangely not the skin under. Once the reaction gets too much to handle, I of course the tape off. I discover that the skin previously the tape has swelled a tiny bit, and a little while after, the outer skin takes on a mucous-y, moist (not in the good way) texture. I believe that the black electrical tape was literally ripping a layer of the outer skin off.

Now that is recognized, the natural healing process of the outer skin begins and of course the scale-like texture starts. With this, comes extreme itchiness around that area, and strangely, it seems to spread to the entire genital region and inner thighs. This may be indeed evidence it may also be allergic reaction, or just a side-effect of scratching that area.

It's been about a week now since I did that "experiment", and the skin has still not fully healed once again. It still is itchy a tiny bit, and the biggest downside is that I can't apply anything to the area or it'll both hurt and interrupt the healing process.

Anyway, do not use (vinyl) electrical tape for restoring. The other tape I've been salvaging, gray duct tape, also is not ideal, but at least doesn't give your skin a reaction like the electrical tape did.
One thing they have in common though is that both do not have "pores" so to speak like medical tape does. The tape cannot "breath" thus the covered skin cannot breath either, and I do believe a side-effect of that is the layers of skin under (inner skin in this case) is not getting much "oxygen", so in turn there is no natural moisture creation or smegma. I noticed when I used to use medical tape I would get that nice natural aroma and of course smegma and other natural things when the skin breathes, this is just not present when using "non breathing" tapes that aren't essentially created for the human skin such as electrical/duct tape.
If anyone can confirm or deny my theory about "breathing tape = breathing skin = natural moistness", please reply.

I'm going to shop for some medical tapes once again. If anyone has any suggestions, please do say so. I'm looking around the forums and seeing things like 3M Micropore. I see shops selling Micropore Paper and Micropore Surgical, I'll give both a try.
I've experimented with medical tapes in the past and some just fell off the skin instantly or even gave the reaction that the black electrical tape did, so I'd like to get a good medical tape again.

Last edited by siog; May 23rd, 2012 at 02:31.
Old May 21st, 2012

I had to abandon tape methods due to allergic reactions as well. I also had itching problems galore but strangely almost no visible rash, just severe itching. I was using 3M Nexcare Gentle Paper for a while, most Walmarts carry it and it's pretty cheap. You might not have the allergic reactions I did, I found this tape to hold on tenaciously if the skin was washed beforehand. However, it does take some soaking in warm water to remove and often leaves an adhesive residue. You might also try applying Vitamin E oil when not tugging, just make sure it's not the synthetic version (d-Alpha Tocopherol is naturally derived, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl is synthetic).