Foreskin Restoration / Intactivism Network

Go Back   Foreskin Restoration / Intactivism Network > FORESKIN RESTORATION > General Restoration Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendars Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 31st, 2012

Default Making your own retainer is a snap

At some point, just about everyone who is restoring wants to use a retainer, because it helps preserve the progress that you've made, and keeps your glans -- or most of it -- covered. Keeping your glans covered in everyday life is one of the main functions of the foreskin to begin with.

Making your own retainer is easy. Just use a replacement baby bottle nipple, which you modify. Getting the right baby bottle nipple is the key. I found that the Avent brand is just right for me. I got a package of two in the Wal-Mart baby department (not the pharmacy section) for just under $5. It is worth having the second one as backup in case something happens to the first. Avoid the small size nipples for the small baby bottles; they're too small. I used the Avent nipples marked "3m+", medium flow. Your first reaction may be, "This is too big", but trust me, it will probably be just right. We're talking average size penises here. If you've got a monster dong, you might have to go to Plan B.

The Avent baby bottle nipples are made of soft transparent silicone rubber, and are comfortable to wear as retainers. In fact, you'll forget that you have your retainer on. I wear mine everywhere, and I have never once had it fall off. Even if it did, it's not going to go anywhere anyways -- it will just stay inside your shorts. You will experience a pleasant and newfound sensation: the protection of, and lack of irritation of, your glans. You will find out firsthand how important it is that guys have a foreskin. After a while, you will notice that your covered glans is beginning to return to a normal, shiny purplish color.

Retainers are perfect for guys who are manually restoring, and for guys who are using a device but would like to wear a retainer at night. In other words, just about everybody. You can begin using a retainer after you've restored enough foreskin so that it begins to cover, or partly cover, your glans, but won't stay put.

The Avent nipple will have to be modified before you can wear it. I used a snapoff blade box cutter ($1 for a package of two at the dollar store) to slice mine. It cuts very easily. You'll want to cut off the wide flange at the base of the nipple. You will also want to trim back the nipple a bit, but first you might want to try this: slice off the very end of the nipple so there is an opening about 1/8" in the end of the nipple. This way, you might be able to pee through the retainer without having to remove it. It would be almost like peeing through a long overhanging foreskin. If you don't like it, just trim the nipple off.

Putting on the retainer the first time is a little tricky but after awhile you get the hang of it, and it becomes second nature. It will be easier if you trim the pubic hair around your penis. Push your foreskin as far forward as it will go, and cap it with the retainer. It will be a lot easier if you don't have those pesky pubic hairs getting in the way.

I hope this provides a quick and inexpensive solution for you to finding a retainer that fits great and really works. And lets you avoid the mistakes I made when I figured this all out the hard way.
Old January 31st, 2012

Default Re: Making your own retainer is a snap

Thanks for the info! Could you post a pic that shows what the baby bottle cap looks like after you've modified it?
Old January 31st, 2012

Default Re: Making your own retainer is a snap

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameplan View Post
Thanks for the info! Could you post a pic that shows what the baby bottle cap looks like after you've modified it?
Gameplan, I'm sorry but I can't upload photos. However, I think the site "Restoring Tally" has photos. He is on this forum, so maybe he will jump in and provide a link. I wish I had seen his site before I started experimenting with (and wasting money) buying nipples without really knowing what I was doing.

My biggest regret in restoring is that I didn't make a retainer sooner. The comfort alone is worth it! I also like that I don't have to take it off every time I have to take a piss. I just pee through the opening in the end (where the nipple used to be).

Good luck with restoring!