Foreskin Restoration / Intactivism Network

Go Back   Foreskin Restoration / Intactivism Network > INTACTIVISM > Calls to Action
Register FAQ Members List Calendars Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Calls to Action Bail someone out, sign a petition, write a legislator, phone a DJ, etc. Use FORUM TOOLS to Subscribe and get e-mail alerts when new items are posted.

Old February 18th, 2012
It's just a username.

Arrow An important function I want readers from the United States to start taking over

You can create an account and subscribe to government mailing-lists for the HHS, NIH, OIG, FDA, and other agencies here:

http://service.govdelivery.com/servi...tml?code=USHHS

You can subscribe to the CDC mailing-list here:

http://service.govdelivery.com/servi...tml?code=USCDC

Being on government agency mailing-lists is the best way of being informed of important changes affecting the incidence, availability and incentive for circumcision, and to identify opportunities to present anti-circumcision arguments directly to policymakers and regulatory agencies in the United States.

This is a particularly good avenue for those readers of a more studious nature, who may have limited time and resources to devote to anti-circumcision activities and in any event, aren't seeking to do so publicly as "intactivists".

Readers from the United States should also regularly check the Federal Register and Regulations.gov to look for opportunities to present arguments directly to regulatory agencies which may reduce the incidence, availability and incentive for performing circumcision.

A systematic approach to collating information, identifying opportunities to present anti-circumcision arguments directly to policymakers and regulatory agencies (using their own formal processes) and preparing response documents, is one that could help steadily reduce the incidence, availability and incentive for performing circumcision in the United States, is in line with the generally successful strategy followed by opponents of circumcision in Australia and the United Kingdom, and is something that has been demonstrated to actually be practical and doable using forums like these.

= = = = =

{mod: THANKS very much for all your help pointing out these resources and their potential.}

Last edited by Minuteman; July 13th, 2013 at 08:59.
Old September 26th, 2012
It's just a username.

Default Re: An important function I want readers from the United States to start taking over

You can see examples of how information from agency mailing-lists has been integrated into anti-circumcision responses to federal agency community consultations at the following links:

Response to the "2014 Viral Hepatitis Action Plan" [FR Document Number: 2013-13332]

Response to "PEPFAR Program Expenditures" [Form Number: DS-4213, OMB Control Number: 1405-0208]

Response to "Medicare, Medicaid, Children's Health Insurance Programs: Transparency Reports and Reporting of Physician Ownership or Investment Interests"[regulations.gov Docket No. CMS-2011-0191, FR Doc No: 2011-32244]

Agencies under the aegis of the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) such as the CDC, FDA, Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP), and the Department of State (which oversees PEPFAR and U.S. involvement in other international health initiatives), regularly open for public comment proposed rules and regulations which present opportunities for practical anti-circumcision arguments including such topics as transparency in physicians financial interests, MRSA in hospital settings, patient safety, reduction of health care costs, and oversight of grantees receiving federal funds.

I intend to wind-down my anti-circumcision activities over the coming months with the intention of moving onto other things next year (I've been at it nearly 4 years now and feel I've made my substantive contribution), so if circumcision-opponents in the U.S. feel that there is value to be had from engaging their government's regulatory agencies, this would be a good juncture for others on this board to subscribe to the agency mailing-lists and begin regularly checking the federal register for opportunities to present practical anti-circumcision arguments to regulatory agencies and policymakers.

We have entrenched, credible opponents of circumcision in academia and public health here in Australia and in the United Kingdom, where circumcision rates have steadily been coming down, so the onus really is now on opponents of circumcision in the U.S. to start engaging with, reining in and holding accountable, their government agencies.

Last edited by Minuteman; March 29th, 2014 at 23:25.