Foreskin Restoration / Intactivism Network

Go Back   Foreskin Restoration / Intactivism Network > FORESKIN RESTORATION > General Restoration Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendars Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 4th, 2013

Question Trapping salt/saline water under foreskin for extended time periods

I've been thinking a bit about something now that I read another thread just now ["Glans and Seawater"]. I don't want to hijack someone's thread, so I posted this separately. From there, I gather that the typical exposure to seawater doesn't have any long-term effect on the penis.

But -
Would it be wise at all to trap plain saltwater (like table salt in tap water) under what foreskin one has and retain like this for extended periods of time? I've read from a few sources that sea/saltwater (I know that there are differences here) is healthy for skin and even helps dekeratinization of the glans and inner foreskin. Or could it end up desenstizing it as a couple of other sources suggest, or even cause real damage? My thoughts on this, as of posting this, are that it may be a rather bad idea. What might happen, if anything?

Edit: Forgot to mention, those 'sources' I was talking about were somewhat unreliable IMO, it was Yahoo Answers and some other random question site where just about anyone can say whatever.
Current RCI: 3
Goal RCI: 7; possibly 8+
RCI - Real Coverage Index

Last edited by Sky7; September 4th, 2013 at 08:34.
Old September 4th, 2013

Default Re: Trapping salt/saline water under foreskin for extended time periods

The salt/water balance would be very hard to replicate with table salt and tap water. I don't think it would be as helpful as you hope.

The reason seawater helps probably has something to do with the fact that we evolved from sea creatures many millions of years ago, and we still produce our own natural seawater in our tears, sweat, urine, etcetera.

I would suggest that you look into a cheap saline (like for storing contact lenses) if you really want to try the salt water retention idea. It would already be formulated to replicate natural human salt levels, and I would think the chemistry would be much more beneficial than just dumping table salt into tap water.

If you do try the saline idea, make sure you look for a saline with no added cleansers or preservatives. Look for the stuff that most closely approximates human tears. I keep a bottle around the house in case I need to wash out my eyes. I also used to wear contact lenses.

Sadly, I don't have enough skin to try and trap saline solution around my glans, but I would be interested in any results you get.

Oh. As an added bonus, saline solution comes in a bottle with a nozzle I think would be perfect for injecting into whatever retention method you come up with.

Keep us informed. Sounds like a promising experiment.
Old September 4th, 2013

I'll be willing to give that a try if I can, thanks Caananite! Good reference to evolution there, I never actually thought of that sweat::seawater connection. Very cool.
Old September 4th, 2013
Administrator

REplicating sea water is not difficult. Aquarium hobbyists do it all the time. What is hard for them is keeping the sea water balanced so that the salt water fish stay healthy. But to simply create an approximation of sea water is easy. And it can be done with table salt, if salt water is the only thing you are after.

Of course, saline is even easier, and closer to what our body has in terms salt concentration.

Regards

"The foreskin isn't the wrapper...it's the candy!"
Old September 4th, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_b View Post
REplicating sea water is not difficult. Aquarium hobbyists do it all the time. What is hard for them is keeping the sea water balanced so that the salt water fish stay healthy. But to simply create an approximation of sea water is easy. And it can be done with table salt, if salt water is the only thing you are after.

Of course, saline is even easier, and closer to what our body has in terms salt concentration.

Regards
Thanks for the input, Greg_B. The main thing that I see now as a problem in replication is getting the salinity balance right but since table salt is still apparently right from the ocean, it helps make things less complicated. All I can see missing in the big equation is the various amounts of bacteria, which I'm sure are not actually needed for the purpose sought anyways. And that is, if the purpose is even achievable at all. Hypothesis and a desired conclusion... Reminds me of when I was learning about the scientific method process in high school.
Old September 4th, 2013
Administrator

Scientific method, you say? Powerful stuff, it has been extremely helpful for sorting out what works in this arena for sure.

Sea water is about 35 parts per thousand. That is about 35 grams of salt per 1000 grams of water.

Or, if a saline solution will do, here is a quick formula with household measurements: 1 tsp of salt to 1 cup of water.

Regards

"The foreskin isn't the wrapper...it's the candy!"
Old September 4th, 2013

"Trapping" the sea water in seems hard to do, and having salt on your skin for long long periods is probably not wise, humans just weren't made for it.

Do you take baths? Is there some sort of concoction of bath salts that would produce a similar effect? A soak once a day might help out a bit.

Honestly, I'd just wait for full flaccid coverage, the effects should be similar.
Old September 4th, 2013
Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaanite View Post
The salt/water balance would be very hard to replicate with table salt and tap water. I don't think it would be as helpful as you hope.

The reason seawater helps probably has something to do with the fact that we evolved from sea creatures many millions of years ago, and we still produce our own natural seawater in our tears, sweat, urine, etcetera.

I would suggest that you look into a cheap saline (like for storing contact lenses) if you really want to try the salt water retention idea. It would already be formulated to replicate natural human salt levels, and I would think the chemistry would be much more beneficial than just dumping table salt into tap water.

If you do try the saline idea, make sure you look for a saline with no added cleansers or preservatives. Look for the stuff that most closely approximates human tears. I keep a bottle around the house in case I need to wash out my eyes. I also used to wear contact lenses.

Sadly, I don't have enough skin to try and trap saline solution around my glans, but I would be interested in any results you get.

Oh. As an added bonus, saline solution comes in a bottle with a nozzle I think would be perfect for injecting into whatever retention method you come up with.

Keep us informed. Sounds like a promising experiment.
Not saline for contact lenses because they have things designed to clean the lens and not designed for the eyes. Just get eye-wash saline.
I think you'll find most restorers, like most people in general, respect anyone's right to form and express opinions about life's unknowables. But cut guys often have a special reason to resent organized religion or blind adherence to dogma, since the unconscionable amputation of their healthy normal parts was facilitated by the cover that tolerance of religion gives to some patently evil behavior.

-Ron
Old September 4th, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by random1 View Post
Not saline for contact lenses because they have things designed to clean the lens and not designed for the eyes. Just get eye-wash saline.
Correct. You don't want anything other than pure saline. Thankfully, it is usually the cheaper stuff. Mostly I used the plain saline to rinse off my contacts to get rid of the cleanser stuff. You don't want anything with additives in your eyes, and you wouldn't want it on your glans either.

But, if you are heading to the drug store / chemist, you will find the pure saline in the same isle as the contact cleaning saline. Just be careful what you get.
Old September 5th, 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiarun View Post
"Trapping" the sea water in seems hard to do, and having salt on your skin for long long periods is probably not wise, humans just weren't made for it.
Guess what's in sweat?