Foreskin Restoration / Intactivism Network

Go Back   Foreskin Restoration / Intactivism Network > FORESKIN RESTORATION > General Restoration Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendars Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 2nd, 2009

Default penile constriction, intense testicle pain (generally not going great)

I began taping about three months ago. What followed was a nightmare and I am desperate to hear from anyone who has had any of the things I describe here happen to them -- I don't know what to do next.

For about two weeks I was stretching the skin on my penis over the glans and leaving it taped in place 4-8 hours a day, just trying to get used to it. I noticed on one occasion that I was scrunching the glans down in a way that seemed to hold the meatus partly open, and I wondered if that might make me vulnerable to urinary tract infections. A few days later I started experiencing some burning, especially when urinating. I decided to leave off taping for a few days and apply antibiotic ointment.

The burning went away quickly, but a few days later something very unusual happened -- I was walking down the street and suddenly I felt an intense, crushing pain in my right testicle. It remained painful for the next hour, and when I called my doctor he said it might be testicular torsion, and I needed to get to a hospital right away (apparently torsion is easy to treat, but if you don't fix it within six hours you lose the testicle). At the ER, they found no sign of torsion, ischemia, inflammation, or infection. The pain gradually subsided, but the next day it came back, and over the next three weeks I had intense testicle pain come and go without any apparent cause or pattern. I had a prostate exam, a CT scan to look for kidney stones, and a course of cipro (which caused me to shake like an alcoholic, but that was an unrelated drug interaction). Eventually it faded away.

As for the result of the stretching, I now have a band of bunched-up skin around the middle of my penis. When I get even the beginnings of an erection, that skin doesn't expand laterally, and it creates a very prominent constriction (see attached photos). I can usually make it go away by manually smoothing out the skin, but not always and not entirely. There's no sign of tissue damage or loss of sensitivity. It's been stable in this state for about a month and a half.

So after some really scary and unexplained pain, plus about $750 in medical bills, I'm spooked. I'd really like to fix the constriction problem I can. I'm also still interested in getting back to stretching and ultimately growing enough skin to keep my glans covered throughout the day. But I sure as heck don't want to cause any more problems. Does anyone have any idea what's been going on with me, or any advice to impart?

Thanks for your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg constrict3.jpg (34.1 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg constrict2.jpg (44.3 KB, 88 views)
Old January 2nd, 2009
Administrator

Default Re: penile constriction, intense testicle pain (generally not going great)

I do not have an answer for you, however somethings come to mind that perhaps can provide an avenue to pursue with your doctor(s).

First, the skin constriction I doubt has anything to do the pain in your testicle. If the scar is located at the constriction, which it looks like it is in the photos, then it appears similar to someone who has a very tight opening. You can look this up here:

http://www.circumstitions.com/Paraphim.html

and this condition can be treated by the use of stretching and steriods:

http://www.cirp.org/library/treatment/phimosis/

How this would work for someone like you is not as easy to see, but manual stretching and steroid cream in theory seems as if it could have some utitlity and I would discuss this with your doctor.

You do not mention what the doctors said about your pain. Did they rule out benign prostate enlargement for instance? I ask because I had a similar pain in my testicle. I was sitting in a meeting and out fo the blue had signficant pain in my testicle. This lasted for the rest of the day, maybe several days, then gradually faded. I went to my Urologist about it. He diagnosed me (based on that symptom and others from further examination) benign enlargement of the prostate.

One thing he mentioned stuck with me. He said men never come in complaining of pain in their prostate. Instead they come in complaining of pain in their testicles. The point being that prostate pain apprently feels like pain in the testicle to the patient.

I use an insert to provide tension. This pushes against my meateus, potenntially holding it open and risking infection. I have not had any problem, though my experience does not rule out the possibility that you may have gotten an infection from this, simply I have not.

However, it could be that the pain had nothing to do with this aspect of your restoration and you may need to discuss this further with your doctor(s). If you have not, an exam by a urologist may be worthwhile. And second opinions are helpful at times too. Keep in mind that doctors as a rule have no knowledge of foreskins, let alone restoration, so it is easy for them to see the froreskin and restoration as a likely problem, even if it is not.

Best wishes, hopefully this will get resolved and you will be able to continue restoring.

Regards

"The foreskin isn't the wrapper...it's the candy!"
Old January 3rd, 2009
Creative Title here

Default Re: penile constriction, intense testicle pain (generally not going great)

that is odd, how much tension were you using?

as for the urinary tract infection, consider how long a males "tubes" are compared to females, I don't think the lips being open will raise the chance of uti's at all

but there is something up with your penis, that constriction, could be perfect if it was at the tip of the foreskin, and I think that's what distalero was sayig sorta, looks like paraphimosis,

I'm not doubting your story, It is odd though, never heard of anything like that, what has the urologist or dermatologist said about the constricted skin?

keep in mind we can connect things that aren't always the case, when I started restoring shortly after that I got this burning have to pee sensation in my penis, thought for sure it was the tugging or the tugger material, quit tugging and the pain persisted, finally went to a doctor and it was kidney stones, had a ct scan that concluded that, tried the home remedy of drinking a lot of different fruit juices to see if it will dissolve it, after drinking a bunch of it the next morning felt fine, and tugged for almost a year afterwards with no troubles
Old January 3rd, 2009
To Build a Mountain Takes a Long Long Time

Lightbulb Re: penile constriction, intense testicle pain (generally not going great)

You're sure it's the skin that's constricted, rather than erectile tissue failing to expand? Because if it were the latter, it would indicate some kind of trauma or localized circulatory problem.
Old January 3rd, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distalero View Post
First of all, you haven't identified yourself as actually circumcised; at least not a complete excision of the foreskin. What I see is what looks to be at least a partially intact foreskin, if not completely intact, but naturally short compared to other natural presentations. When you "smooth out the skin" does it cover your flaccid penis? Is this YOUR penis in the photos?
I was circumcised as a baby by a mohel. It's not the tightest circumcision I've seen, but it's pretty complete. I have no glans coverage at all even when my penis is at its most flaccid.

Quote:
Secondly, you haven't described the actual outcome of the course of antibiotics, or if a second type was prescribed. Your use of terminology, and the underlying knowledge of symptoms (although not necessarily of a typical allergic reaction to antibiotics) speaks of someone familiar with the situation.
The outcome of the antibiotics was unclear, because we never established the presence of an infection. My urologist said this wasn't even suggestive of any kind of infection he was familiar with, but that I might as well try antibiotics and see if they helped. The testicle pain subsided over the same period I was taking cipro, but I don't know if there's a link.

I'm not sure why you're asking about my level of familiarity with this situation. As a psychology researcher, I have a little medical knowledge and some exposure to the terminology, but I didn't know the first thing about urogenital problems before this started.

Quote:
Thirdly, you didn't say if you told your urologist about restoring (assuming you talked with one truly), and what, if anything, he had to say about it all. If it had been me, I would have asked about the opened meatus issue, if nothing else.

Sorry to say, I think I detect a whiff of something off, here.
That is quite rude.
Old January 3rd, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_b View Post
I do not have an answer for you, however somethings come to mind that perhaps can provide an avenue to pursue with your doctor(s).

First, the skin constriction I doubt has anything to do the pain in your testicle. If the scar is located at the constriction, which it looks like it is in the photos, then it appears similar to someone who has a very tight opening.
Thanks for your advice, greg. I agree that it's difficult to imagine how the restoration might relate to the testicle pain. I'm assuming an association because they co-occurred: I started doing something to my body that is unlike anything I'd ever done before, and is unfamiliar to much of the medical community, and shortly afterward I developed a set of symptoms that are unlike anything I'd ever experienced before, and are unfamiliar to the medical community. It would be absolutely great if this was just a freak coincidence, but it seems prudent to look for a possible connection.

I'm afraid the condition you linked to doesn't sound quite right for me. The glans isn't trapped, and the band of constricted skin is pretty far from it, about midway down the shaft. There's some mobile, unaffected skin between there and the corona. I'll experiment a bit and see if lateral stretching is still possible.

[quote=greg_b;10048]You do not mention what the doctors said about your pain. Did they rule out benign prostate enlargement for instance?[/url]

I had my prostate checked on two occasions after the pain started, and it was declared normal. Since the pain came and went over the course of the day, it's possible that the prostate was also swelling and shrinking, but I've never heard of that kind of thing happening on such a rapid cycle.

I'm very glad that you had some experience to share with me, although I'm sorry that you had to go through something like this too! I hope that in addition to finding out it was a benign condition, you've also been able to find some way to keep the pain under control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_b View Post
However, it could be that the pain had nothing to do with this aspect of your restoration and you may need to discuss this further with your doctor(s). If you have not, an exam by a urologist may be worthwhile. And second opinions are helpful at times too. Keep in mind that doctors as a rule have no knowledge of foreskins, let alone restoration, so it is easy for them to see the froreskin and restoration as a likely problem, even if it is not.
I did see a urologist, but I did not tell him I was restoring. That might be unwise, but I was afraid that if I told him about restoration he'd jump to the conclusion that it was to blame and potentially miss what was actually going on. I've also had a lot of bad experiences with doctors ignoring or insulting me, and this makes me prone to doing foolish things like withholding information. I live in San Francisco, so I should certainly be able to find a pro-restoration urologist; the one I saw before was just the first urologist who was able to make an appointment with me after my testicles went haywire.
Old January 3rd, 2009

Cloud, I agree with you that there might not be any relationship between the stretching, the temporary irritation, and the testicle pain. I'm just going on the fact that I started doing something very unusual to myself, and shortly afterward developed a very unusual condition in the same general area. That's far from conclusive, but I think it's prudent to consider the possibility of a link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud7 View Post
that is odd, how much tension were you using?
Not very much -- I felt some stretch but it wasn't painful; I checked for signs of restricted blood flow and didn't see any; and there was no soreness or sign of skin damage after I removed the tape. The bunched-up skin developed over just about a week or so.

Quote:
as for the urinary tract infection, consider how long a males "tubes" are compared to females, I don't think the lips being open will raise the chance of uti's at all
I appreciate the reassurance. This suggests that the hypothesis is even weaker than I thought it was, although it's still the strongest one I have!

Quote:
I'm not doubting your story, It is odd though, never heard of anything like that, what has the urologist or dermatologist said about the constricted skin?
I didn't talk to my urologist about restoring. See my reply to greg above for my excuses on that. It might have been unwise, but I wanted to get an unprejudiced diagnosis from him. I might have brought it up in order to ask about the constricted skin, but at the time I was seeing him I hadn't yet completely identified the skin issue. It was the intermittent testicle pain that he said he'd never seen before (he did have a few guesses, but the examinations there and at the hospital ruled them out).
Old January 3rd, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPX1 View Post
You're sure it's the skin that's constricted, rather than erectile tissue failing to expand? Because if it were the latter, it would indicate some kind of trauma or localized circulatory problem.
That's a very good question. Because the constriction occurs right where there's some visibly bunched skin (which wasn't there before), I've been assuming it's about the skin. Do you have any suggestions about how I could distinguish between the two possibilities you mentioned?
Old January 3rd, 2009
Administrator

Octavio, I think you are too narrow in your interpretation. If you do have a rather tight foreskin opening, which is what phimosis and paraphimosis is cuased by, think about it more generally. Your foreskin openeing may (for whatever reason) be tight enough to cause the condition you are seeing, yet still be subclinical, ie not quite enough to be called phimosis. That is what I was trying to get at.

Your situation is very unusual, I have not heard anyone reporting this that I can remember.

As far as me, thanks, things got resolved via several surgeries. One thing I can add form my experience, that I just thought of, is that a number of times my Urologist made the comment that I do not have a large prostate, but it is too big. In other words, my prostate's outer diameter was not very large in comparison to the average, even a bit smaller than average. But it was still constricting the urethra, and I presume creating enough pressure to cause the pain at times. Large "where it counts" so to speak, not large as in impressively sized.

I do not have any new suggestions...and a second opinion sounds even more worthwhile considering the additional information you have now provided.

Regards

"The foreskin isn't the wrapper...it's the candy!"
Old January 3rd, 2009

Question Re: penile constriction, intense testicle pain (generally not going great)

There is a website showing problems caused by circumcision, one being constriction FROM the circumcision scar. This does not look particularly likely from the picture, but may be a consideration.

Quote by Octavio:
Quote:
I was circumcised as a baby by a mohel.
Recently, one procirc website said there have never been any problems with Jewish circumcisons!!!

Quote:
Yet never in history has there been a reported case of a Jewish boy who was damaged by a mohel.
http://www.beingjewish.com/cycle/milah.html

Last edited by finman; January 3rd, 2009 at 19:41.