Foreskin Restoration / Intactivism Network

Go Back   Foreskin Restoration / Intactivism Network > INTACTIVISM > Press Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendars Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Press Room One article per thread, please. Published, broadcast, or governmental/agency sources.

Old January 24th, 2009
Hugging My Member

Default 2009-01-25 TheSource - New findings in alternative medicine {cell growth}

I'm no expert, but this says Therapeutic Touch (TT) can positively affect cell growth. Might this even help explain why Manual Stretching is successful for so many? Different technique, but not random movements. Just food for thought here. Bold text is my own highlighting, not part of the original.
RobertW

http://www.sourcenewspapers.com/stor...ory10001.shtml

PUBLISHED: Sunday, January 25, 2009
New findings in alternative medicine

A 2-year research study headed by Gloria Gronowicz of the Department of Surgery at the University of Connecticut Health Center in Farmington, N.J., credits certain forms of alternative energy medicine with the successful stimulation and growth of normal human cell cultures.

Energy medicine includes such biofield therapies as Reiki, quikong and therapeutic touch, said Sterling Heights-based chiropractor Dr. Pavel Bence. The study focused on TT, which was credited with directly impacting how human cells respond to external stimulation.

Bence pointed to the case report published this year in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. The findings suggest that external stimulation with TT may also be effective in decreasing abnormal cell growth in cancer patients.

In this particular study, three different cell cultures - fibroblasts (derived from neonatal foreskin obtained during circumcision), tendon cells (derived from human hamstring discarded during orthopedic procedures) and bone cells (obtained from healthy bone chips) - were grown and isolated.

All cultures were obtained from different patients. In addition, each of the three cell types that were simultaneously subjected to the various tests all came from different patients.

The cultures were subjected twice a week, over a period of two weeks, to the healing hand of three experienced TT practitioners. During that time, the cultures also underwent sham treatments, or they received no stimulation at all. Each experiment was repeated three times at a minimum.

TT was performed by sweeping hand motions at least 4-10 inches above the plate without ever touching the specimen itself, for a period of 10 minutes, twice a week.

“These hand motions direct positive intentions through the hands,” Bence said.

Control groups of the cultures underwent sham treatments - random hand motions without any thoughts or intentions - or they received no treatment at all.

All cultures were assessed at the same time. The results were obtained by statistical analysis and were rather surprising. TT resulted in a measurable change in all three cell cultures. Osteoblasts (bone cells) showed a significant increase in cell growth, compared to the untreated cells, a slightly smaller increase was seen in fibroblasts (cultures from neonatal foreskin).

But the largest increase in growth compared to the control group occurred in tenoctytes (cells derived from hamstring tendon).

“We see that human touch has the capacity to affect even cell growth and thereby has a real healing potential,” Bence said. “More studies are needed, but the findings also give hope to many patients who suffer from abnormal cell growth - in particular cancer patients. By and large, energy medicine treatments, in particular TT, promise significant benefits for our bodies.”

For more information, call Bence at 978-9900.

Last edited by RobertW; January 24th, 2009 at 16:14. Reason: Forgot to include the source link. And no, I don't know what area code the phone number belongs to. Perhaps clues on website.
Old January 24th, 2009
Administrator

Default Re: 2009-12-25 TheSource - New findings in alternative medicine {cell growth}

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
I'm no expert, but this says Therapeutic Touch (TT) can positively affect cell growth.
No, they didn't actually touch the cells in question. Apparently we're to believe it works to wave your hands in a magic pattern over the tissue, and to have "positive intentions."

It's laughable on one hand, yet unethical on another - the fibroblast cells used came from foreskins harvested from infants.
Old January 24th, 2009
Administrator

Default Re: 2009-12-25 TheSource - New findings in alternative medicine {cell growth}

Quote:
A 2-year research study headed by Gloria Gronowicz of the Department of Surgery at the University of Connecticut Health Center in Farmington, N.J., credits certain forms of alternative energy medicine with the successful stimulation and growth of normal human cell cultures.
I'm glad I'm not this person's supervisor. It's always unpleasant firing someone who's gone off the deep end.

-Ron
Old January 25th, 2009

Question Re: 2009-12-25 TheSource - New findings in alternative medicine {cell growth}

Quote:
The findings suggest that external stimulation with TT may also be effective in decreasing abnormal cell growth in cancer patients.
Where was there any research on cancer cells?

Quote:
In this particular study, three different cell cultures - fibroblasts (derived from neonatal foreskin obtained during circumcision)...all cultures were obtained from different patients
The healthy boy was not a patient until someone started hacking lumps off of his penis

Quote:
The cultures were subjected twice a week, over a period of two weeks, to the healing hand of three experienced Therapeutic Touch practitioners. During that time, the cultures also underwent sham treatments
How can you tell the difference?

Quote:
TT was performed by sweeping hand motions at least 4-10 inches above the plate without ever touching the specimen itself, for a period of 10 minutes, twice a week
This is not quite how manual stretching is performed, is it?

Quote:
TT was performed by sweeping hand motions at least 4-10 inches above the plate without ever touching the specimen itself
I think this works as a weight loss diet too

Quote:
“These hand motions direct positive intentions through the hands,” Bence said.
Do bad thoughts do the opposite. Do not think about the perpetrator of your circumcision while doing this, then.

Quote:
“We see that human touch has the capacity to affect even cell growth and thereby has a real healing potential,”
But there is no touch, no contact.

As I said once before, miraculously scientific experiments almost always 'prove' the desired result.
Old January 25th, 2009
Hugging My Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finman View Post
This is not quite how manual stretching is performed, is it?
Right, of course it isn't the same (4-6 inches above, etc.). I was drawing a parallel between two other items mentioned.

1. Manual restoration techniques do involve directing positive intentions though the hands. Mindfully or not, this would be true, in my opinion.

2. Manual restoration is not random hand motions without any thoughts or intentions. It is not random, it is based on techniques that have been shown to work, and have been documented, and are being followed. And there are intentions, of course.

I think it's interesting food for thought. Who really knows how much direct influence the brain can have over the body. Consider:
  • Athletes try to see things in their mind before they do them.
  • People have become physically ill after becoming mentally stressed.
  • Survivors of physical trauma/illness have credited their own positive thoughts. (ok, not provable, but still...)
What if positive thought works and we don't try it? Is there any harm done if someone focuses additional positive intentions on their manual restoration techniques which they are already doing? It could be as simple as paying less attention to the TV and more attention to thoughts about the desired results while stretching in front of TV.

Just a thought.
Old January 25th, 2009
Administrator

Quote:
What if positive thought works and we don't try it?

Is there any harm done if someone focuses additional positive intentions on their manual restoration techniques which they are already doing?

It could be as simple as paying less attention to the TV and more attention to thoughts about the desired results while stretching in front of TV.
I think you answered your own question. The cost of devoting attention to one thing is the loss of attention devoted to some other thing. What if while you're intently focused on happy skin thoughts and ignoring the TV, something lame comes on and you don't bother to change the channel since you're not paying much attention? Then some OTHER show on History Channel or Science Channel - that just might have given you real insight into something that would positively impact your life - goes unseen.

As unlikely as this seems, I think it's fair. Rationally, we have to consider 100% of the cost of trying something, subtracted from "the value of whatever it might bring about if successful TIMES the probability that the positive outcome will happen." If the net result of this intangible calculus is positive, a rational entity gives it a try.

The article is about "Therapeutic (non-)Touch" administered by others. I put the odds of that working at as close to zero as the mind can imagine. Maybe the chance of my own happy concentration physically helping is a bit greater, but in any case, the cost of trying it is a sure thing, so it would take a pretty high-value potential reward to justify even the slightest investment toward the effort.

That said, I think I'm the most positive-thinking person I know. I feel I am much richer for it.

As Yoda says: There is no try.

-Ron
Old January 26th, 2009

Talking Re: 2009-12-25 TheSource - New findings in alternative medicine {cell growth}

RobertW, you have shown in earlier posts that you have a good sense of humour (humor?) so please do not take every work I wrote as a serious criticism of your post.

Visualising has been harnessed by atheletes and others, and it has been suggested from experiments visualising exercise has a similar (but reduced if I remember rightly) affect on the body as actually doing the exercise. Concentrating on manual stretching may also be beneficial in doing it right and building an enthusiasm for it.

However, I have never tried it as I already wear glasses and do not want any further deterioration in my eyesight!

Taken from an Internet questions and answers forum:
Quote:
Question: Can over masturbation really cause problems with your eye sight?
Reply:Could you type this question again with larger letters please?
Old February 12th, 2009

Interesting post Robert, sorry I'm weighing in late.

I will add a few things in pieces:

First, I agree this may be why manual works well.

Second, TT is a funny term when they don't actually touch. That aside, the qigong principle behind the 4-10 inch gap is that the palms are an external gate to what the Taoists call the tan tien (pronounced Dan Tee En). Tan tien, in Chinese, means "medicine field". The tan tien connected to the palms is in the lower belly. The idea is that someone who relaxes, without actual external touch, is able to eminate healing energy not from them to the patient but by establishing the connection between their tan tien and the patient's. Think of it as both people being part of one tan tien, but the brain being on one side (the healer). The palm is what takes in and gets rid of good energy and bad energy. What's happening is, through the palms of the hands, the medicine field is opening and closing.
Old February 12th, 2009

Note that the most effective growth culture was tendons. This makes sense. Tendons are connective tissue. They are known to have very little blood and conduct very little electrical energy. So what does the connective tissue conduct?

Qi.

It is thought that qi is a sort of mind-energy. But it comes from relaxation, not force. Where there is force, the mind is stuck in the muscles.

Over time, the qi builds in the tan tien, which is the practice of qigong and taiji. The qualitative effect of this process is not reflected in the muscles. In fact, they are softer and "weaker". It, instead, is reflected first in the connective tissue (tendons), then later in the bones.

Connective tissue is a term that doesn't mean just locally. It refers to non-locality as well. A tendon doesn't just connect a muscle to a bone- it connects the mind to the body. The mind comes through the connective tissue. And it comes through them AS A WHOLE. Meaning, the process of taiji development of connective tissue is just that- to connect everything. What does that mean. It means once you are connected, you are aware. Aware of something bigger than just you.

The healing energy comes from something bigger than us. Tendons are more receptive and conducive (notice I said conducive, as in conductive) to the medium of intention.
Old February 12th, 2009

Connective tissue is far stronger than muscles. And bones are far more powerful than many know. Muscles are the weakest link, actually, but the easiest to develop. And they must be maintained. Bones and connective tissue, once developed, never fatigues. Muscles are a use-it-or-lose it. Connective tissue and bone are a rest-it-and-always-have-it.

In terms of tissue growth and healing, the principles involved are counter-intuitive: relaxation, no touch, light touch, mind-intention, stillness, slowness, connection, and what you cannot see or measure with modern equipment. Results, however, are not only self-evident, they are hard to link to such principles due to their counter-intuitive nature and our resistance to believe.