Foreskin Restoration / Intactivism Network

Go Back   Foreskin Restoration / Intactivism Network > INTACTIVISM > Calls to Action
Register FAQ Members List Calendars Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Calls to Action Bail someone out, sign a petition, write a legislator, phone a DJ, etc. Use FORUM TOOLS to Subscribe and get e-mail alerts when new items are posted.

Old June 1st, 2010
Administrator

Default Forced Foreskin Retraction - Liam's Story

This is why we hear of so many young children/teens "requiring" circumcision...
As babies, they are harmed accidentally by well-meaning parents who follow advice from uninformed, ignorant doctors suggesting aggressive hygiene (pulling back the foreskin), OR children are harmed by doctors (creating scar tissue and the potential for true necessity of medical circumcision) who ignore parents when they are specifically told NOT TO TOUCH the child's penis/not to retract..as happened with our son.
Proper intact care-WIPE LIKE A FINGER.
DO NOT RETRACT if he is INTACT!
~Colleen Corcoran, Mother of Liam Corcoran

Foreskin Retraction is normative abuse

It is disheartening to realize we are a society conformed to conditions of normative abuse.

Routine Infant Circumcision and Forcible Foreskin Retraction have become common cultural and social crimes that must be exposed as violations of children's basic human rights.

Raising public awareness regarding these issues must be our immediate concern if we are to honestly and wholeheartedly protect our children from the ignorance that has engulfed the American medical profession for the last 150 years. There is no national or international medical association that recommends circumcision.

We are just beginning to emerge from the plethora of myths and propaganda that have clouded our vision, judgement and protective intuition. Someday, we will join with the eighty plus percent of the world's population that rejects circumcision. Our nation should support leaving our children's beautiful bodies intact and as whole as the day they were born.

We thank the children's rights activists and organizations, medal professionals, news media, state legislators and presidential candidates for your time, support and efforts to help make this world a safer place for our smallest citizens.

We now have an attorney who has agreed to take our case. I am including excerpts from the letter I sent to the administration of the Children's Hospital of Pitts burg, where our two-year old son was victimised.

Respectfully,

Liam's parents, Colleen and Joe
PO Box 6
Bedford, Pennsylvania 15522

Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Roger A. Oxendale - President/CEO and Board of Trustees
3705 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213

Dear Sirs/Madams;

Our two-year-old son is a recent victim of an unauthorized premature surgical and forcible foreskin retraction.

"Almost all males are born with a fold of specialized skin - a foreskin (also known as the prepuce) - that covers their glans (head of the penis)... In infancy and usually during childhood, the inner surface of a male's foreskin and the surface of his glans are one continuous structure. The cells that connect these two surfaces dissolve naturally over time - a process that should never be hurried... Forced retraction of the foreskin causes pain and trauma because it rips the child's foreskin from his glans and/or tears his foreskin's opening." National Organization of Circumcision Information Resource Center

We have been protecting our son's genitals since before his birth. Pediatricians, nurses and even family members gave us unsolicited advice to have our son circumcised.

Since birth, two-year-old Liam has had an undescended testicle that occasionally allowed gravity to prevail. He needed to have an orchioplasty; a surgical reconstruction of the testes. It was also recently discovered that along with the undescended testicle, he had inguinial hernia, which were both to be operated on July 11, 2007 in the Wexford-Bayne Children's Hospital location. We authorized ONLY these two necessary medical procedures.

Prior to the surgery, during our consultation with Dr. Lynch in his Monroeville, Pennsylvania office, we specifically explained our two utmost concerns. One of our concerns, aside from Liam being put under anesthesia and receiving a caudal epidural block, was that his genital integrity not be compromised. We explained to Dr. Lynch that we made the educated decision to refuse to circumcise our son when he was born. We are self-educated in the potential and actual risks, involving physical, emotional and mental damage that circumcision poses on otherwise healthy babies. One of the last things Dr. Lynch said to us during the consultation was that it was a non-issue that Liam was intact. He said absolutely nothing about adhesions, phimosis, or retractibility of Liam's foreskin, all of which Dr. Lynch later claimed to be the basis of his decision to perform this cruel procedure.

On July 11, 2007, our family drove two hours to Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh as we were convinced Liam would receive optimal care there. We could not have been more wrong.

While Liam was in recovery, we noticed his penis was extremely swollen. I asked the nurse "why?" She said it was probably just an accumulation of fluid that gravitated toward the penis as a result of the surgery. We also noticed and pointed out to her a mark on my son's foreskin which looked like an impression left from a clamp. She said the Dr. probably just weighted down my son's penis by clamping the foreskin forward and pulling it toward the opposite side of the groin which was to be operated on so that the penis wouldn't "get in the way" of the surgery. We were leery of this explanation, but it made sense that the surgeon would reposition our son's penis away from potential harm during the operation.

It wasn't until hours later, during a diaper change on the way home from the hospital, that we realized, the surgeon had forcibly retracted our son's foreskin. Our son's foreskin, just as most babies and toddler's prepuces and glans are adherent in nature, was only about halfway retractable and otherwise fused, prior to surgery.

During his first diaper change after surgery, we realized what had happened to our son, as his foreskin retracted completely, revealing blood and a red, raw open wound. Fortunately, the effects of the anesthesia had not yet worn off.

We were not asked permission to allow the surgeon to perform this barbaric procedure and certainly would not have given any authorization to do so. We were not advised by anyone after the surgery (until the surgeon returned our urgent phone calls once we were back home) that our son's prepuce was forcibly and surgically stripped away from his glans penis (just as a fingernail would be torn from the nail bed), prematurely exposing what should be an internal organ. The surgeon's excuse for performing this horrific procedure was that our son had a (phony and commonly over/misdiagnosed in prepubescent boys) condition called phimosis, adhesions, as well as a build up of smegma. The definition of phimosis did not apply to our son and certainly shouldn't apply to anyone as young as our son. Liam's old pediatricians, whom we trusted with guidance on how to care for our son's intact penis, never raised any concern over phimosis, smegma buildup or adhesions. Quite the opposite, this well-educated, trustworthy group of pediatricians can attest to the natural and regular development of our son's foreskin. As I previously stated, for his age, Liam naturally had a semi-retractable foreskin. When it was necessary to clean after he had defecated in a diaper, his foreskin could be gently pushed back (without any force) about halfway over the glans. The phimotic ring (or preputial spincter) was otherwise loose and allowed non-painful urination. The smegma the surgeon referenced, had been, over the last two years, working its way towards the tip of the penis (prepuce), as it is expected to do so in nature. Liam never had any complaints about his penis. Natural separation would have occurred in its own time. His penis and his foreskin development were completely normal. The procedure performed by Dr. Lynch was ignorant and certainly not done for the benefit of our son's well being, but as either benefit to the surgeon's and hospitals financial well-being or as "teaching material."

When he returned our calls, the surgeon instructed us to continue to completely retract our son's foreskin approximately 3-4 times daily during diaper changes and to apply Neosporin to the wound. Although, at this point a bit wary, still assuming the doctor knows best, we did this reluctantly three times, our son kicking and crying every time, screaming in agony when the ointment was applied. It broke our hearts that we caused our son further pain by following the surgeon's after-care instructions.

As if it wasn't bad enough that a two-year-old endure any type of surgery and that Liam had the unfortunate experience of needing his testes reconstructed and a hernia corrected, our son had to also suffer the agony of diaper changes and urine coming into contact with micro-tears and a raw open wound.

Because of the actions of Dr. Lynch forcibly tearing the flesh of the balano-preputial lamina (which connects the foreskin and glans-the synechia membrane) and destroying the skin that is considered the first line of defense, our son has experienced swelling, redness, and painful urination, sleepless nights and anxiety. Our son has been exposed to potential iatrogenic infection, adhesions and acquired phimosis. During his most recent bath, Liam retracted his own foreskin no longer half-way, but about three quarters of the way, revealing adhesions that have already re-attached the glans to the prepuce, preventing any further retraction. We can only hope this condition will resolve itself over time, allowing him natural, non-painful, full retractability as it should have naturally happened. We have been advised by medical professionals and doctors that our son will probably need to have the foreskin surgically separated from the scar-connected glans in the future, as the synechia has already been damaged.

For ten years or more, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the rest of the world, including most of the medical organizations this letter is copied to, have been saying to leave the normal development of the prepuce (the foreskin) alone. This is not new information! I can't imagine that the doctor has not heard of the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendation.

Our son is two years old and had many years before his foreskin naturally separated from the glans in a non-traumatic fashion, without any uninvited medical intervention.

Liam has been traumatized. His body has been violated. He will likely suffer further physical, mental and emotional pain and may require additional surgeries to correct his penis, all which would have been avoided had Dr. Lynch performed only the two authorized procedures.

Had the patient been a two year-old girl, would the equivalent procedure been attempted, or even considered? I 'm sure it would cause a public outrage to hear of a two-year-old female patient going in for hernia surgery and coming out with tears in the genital flesh connecting her clitoral "hood" and the clitoris, or in the hymen, as the result of "necessary pre-operative cleaning of the area."

Our whole family has been traumatized. Our lives have been disrupted and adversely affected. We have lost countless nights of sleep and a deluge of tears. Dr. Lynch not only violated our son, but also our trust.

It hurts Liam to urinate and his disposition overall has been altered. He is anxious and disagreeable about diaper changes and going to anyone with the label "Dr." He used to be quite passive in these contexts. Liam is already showing signs of complications (adhesions- two skin surfaces fusing together) caused by Dr. Lynch's unauthorized, unnecessary, premature, forcible and surgical retraction of his foreskin.

We are reporting the harmful actions of Dr. James Lynch to the hospital administration, bio-ethics committee, patient advocacy groups, hospitals where Dr. Lynch has privileges, the medical board, organizations, medical facilities and insurance companies. We have advised the insurance company that this procedure was not authorized.

Any medical professional who undermines a child's parents by ignoring their ethical responsibility to gain informed consent and who consequently violates the basic human rights of a child, must be exposed, so as not to abuse children in the future. Our trust with the medical profession should not be compromised by condoning unnecessary and unauthorized procedures on our loved ones.

Has the medical profession lost sight of the first tenet of medical practice, Primum no nocere (First do no harm)?

Sincerely,

Colleen and Joe, parents of Liam
PO Box 6
Bedford, Pennsylvania 15522

Colleen wrote this on Facebook when posting her son's story...

It was this time, three years ago that my family first met a 'doctor'/surgeon we found in Pittsburgh that we thought we could trust to help our baby. Dr. James Michael Lynch of Monroeville, PA, (formerly with priveledges at Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh), forever changed the way I view modern medicine. He violated our son and our trust for the medical establishment.

This is what propelled my intactivism forward so swiftly.

Thought I would share, if I hadn't already...

Unfortunately, we are beyond the statute of limitations, but once Liam is 18, he has two years to pursue this monster. At the advice of John Geisheker (Doctors Opposing Circumcision) and our lawyer, we risked everything financially for the unlikelihood of persevering in a suit. Especially here in conservative PA. People blush when you say the word "penis", much less "foreskin"; we wouldn't have gotten anywhere with a jury of our peers. Sadly, John was right about that... Maybe by the time Liam is 18, things will be different and the idea that doctors always know and do best will be challenged more often-maybe he can get somewhere...

I used this as a catalyst for my activism and dove in head first.

(Since I got pregnant and had my youngest-now 8 mos old, 3rd child, it's been hard to do as much... but it's a temporary pause.)

Feel free to put this anywhere you'd like. Parents should know that EVEN WHEN YOU DISCUSS THE INTACT STATUS OF YOUR BOY, and the DOCTOR REASSURES YOU THAT THERE IS NO ISSUE WITH HIS PENIS, that during a surgery, the doctor may very well be struck with a god complex and toy with something he is not meant to be touching.

I can't believe he deceived us into trusting him.

I still remember sitting in the waiting room, with my unhusband and his Dad, and my baby girl who is now 3, just staring at the clock, thinking, hoping and praying everything was going well, and just yards away from me, this monster was hovering over my helpless, anesthetized baby boy, ripping his penis apart.

I'll never recover from the emotional trauma it cause me and Joe (my other half)...

Fortunately, Liam has forgotten, but he has symptoms similar to chordee, which IS a direct result of this assholes actions.

Deep breath... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Parents really must be aware. (And I've said it. If, god forbid, he has to go for any other issues, he will have written in permanent marker, right above his penis, "IF YOU TOUCH MY PENIS AT ALL, MY PARENTS *WILL* SUE"...)

Interestingly, the hospital no longer allows him privileges. They wouldn't specify whether he was let go/suspended, or if he retired; they won't give me any information.

Out of the people in my life who I have regarded with disgust or hostility, this is the one person that I would wish bodily harm upon. [It m]ay sound horrible, but it's true. Anyone who's child has ever been sexually abused/assaulted knows this disgusting, stomach-turning feeling all too well. When I hear someone say, "If anyone ever touched my child in that way, I'm not sure I could refrain myself from risking jail time," I can completely relate. I heard this frequently in our foster-parenting classes. The physical violation, especially in such a violent and traumatic way, is nothing that should be condoned., hence my fight for EVERY baby facing possible genital mutilation.

I am keeping up with the personal whereabouts of Dr. Ignoramus every year, and will pass the info to Liam once he is old enough to sue him and the hospital. So fortunate he is far away, and not in this town.

The hospital should also be embarrassed at how they handled my complaint.
Old June 1st, 2010

Default Re: Forced Foreskin Retraction - Liam's Story

At U.S. medical schools students are not taught anything about how to care for the foreskin. I've read dozens of horror stories about little boys being forcefully retracted. There most likely are thousands of horror stories about that on the internet. It was a huge step when it was made mandatory for doctors to get parental permission before circumcising baby boys. Another huge step would be to make it mandatory that doctors and nurses be trained how to properly care for the foreskin. Most doctors in the U.S. do not know that the foreskin should never be forcefully retracted, that the average age for full retraction is about 10, and that under the foreskin should not be vigorously washed. I think some anti-circumcision groups should be taking action to require doctors and nurses to be trained to take care of the foreskin, and to point out all the cases where little boys suffer horribly because of mistreatment, and embarrass the hell out of doctors and nurses for causing so much pain and suffering to little boys because of their negilence.
Old June 1st, 2010
Administrator

Oh, but if they do, then they'll have to admit they're WRONG.

Surely you can't make American triumphalist doctors do THAT...

Old June 1st, 2010

Well the AAP states that the foreskin should never be forcefully retracted on little boys, that under the foreskin should be washed with a MILD soap, and that some males don't retract until peuberty and there's nothing wrong with that. So if an anti-circumcision organization was to point it out that most U.S. doctors and nurses don't know those facts, and point out the extremely large number of little boys who suffer severe pain and agony because U.S. doctors and nurses don't even know the basics on how to take care of the foreskin, then I think there would be a good chance of making it required that U.S. doctors and nurses be trained how to properly care for the foreskin, and a good chance that many people would become untrusting of what U.S. doctors say about the foreskin and circumcision. Also I think that would be a big step with lowering the circumcision rate in the U.S. If it was well pointed out about how dangerous and harmful it is to forcefully retract foreskins, and about how else to properly care for the foreskin, doctors wouldn't be able to claim that they've been right by forcefully retracting it, and that they've been right by 'having' to circumcise little boys because they weren't retractable by the time they should have been, etc. etc.
Old June 1st, 2010
Administrator

Does it have to come down to parents having doctors sign affidavits saying they are not to retract, cut, or otherwise keep their grubby little hands off of their son's genitals?
Old June 1st, 2010

What it comes down to is that fathers have to stand gaurd when their son is born and not let their son out of sight until their son leaves the hospital. Then when the baby boy goes back to the hospital for wellness checks the mother or father needs to stand guard over him constantly. I even read on a forum where a mother took her baby son in for a wellness check, a doctor tried to forcefully retract his foreskin, so the mother told her to stop but the doctor said she needed to check something and kept on trying to retract him. So the mother had to physically grab a hold of the doctor and pull the doctor away.

There are many cases though where parents didn't consent to have their baby son circumcised, or where they even put it in writting that they didn't want their son circumcised, but they were circumcised anyways. So whenever an intact baby boy is in the hospital he needs to be constantly guarded to ensure that he's not sexually assaulted and battered.
Old June 1st, 2010
Administrator

One would think it is easier to sue the doctor if there is a written statement giving specific instructions, especially one the doctor has signed.

Although, given the reality of past events, being in the room standing guard isn't a bad idea.
Old June 2nd, 2010

a hospital should be a place of safety. no one should ever need to stand guard over a child at a hospital. but...

but right now with the way some doctors are acting. i agree a newborn baby boy or girl should have a family member as a body guard at all times.

as for having your wishes about not circumcising and no foreskin retracting on paper. signed by one or preferably both parents is good. but get the hospital administrator to sign as well. and what the hell while your at it get it notarized. and give a copy to the doctor. have it in the babies file as well. its a fair bit of work but keeping your baby safe is worth it. and if they try anything take those asses to court.

don't ever be afraid to ask a doctor lots of questions.

remember your baby is your most precious treasure.
Old June 2nd, 2010
I didn't ask for this.

I have seen an anti-circ site where you can get "do not circumcise" and "do not retract" rubber bracelets to put on your baby's wrists, while he is in the hospital. Also, on this forum there has been at least one legal form submitted by a member in which the doctors who will be handling the boy must sign and agree to NOT mutilate him. Obviously, the standard forms that hospitals use are not enough. I remember reading stories where the form said "NO" in every way possible, but the doctors do it anyway. Give them your own forms. Make THEM sign some shit! After all, they are the ones that have the penis mutilation fetish. Just look at the heart breaking post by bbobeng, from a few days ago:

http://www.foreskin-restoration.net/...60&postcount=1

It's disgusting and sad that even when parents don't want this to happen to their babies and sign documents that are SUPPOSED to mean something, it can happen so easily anyway. So many people view it as a "choice" (which is sick to begin with), but even when parents have chosen NOT to, it has happened many times anyway. Too many times. Countless times. Where is the official hospital form that says not to retract the naturally bound baby boy's foreskin? Or how about the hospital form that says to not f****** touch his penis at all?!?!
Old June 2nd, 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbr3991 View Post
as for having your wishes about not circumcising and no foreskin retracting on paper. signed by one or preferably both parents is good. but get the hospital administrator to sign as well.
That's kinda what I meant...

If the doctor has read and signed the affidavit, then there's no way he can use the "didn't know" line.

That doctors can even use something of the sort is ridiculous, in and of itself.

You perform a procedure because you KNOW it's necessary, and you KNOW parents have consented to it.

Absolutely outrageous, the way doctors who went to med school for so many years can even pretend to be suddenly stupid when it comes to their own jobs.

They screw up and ... "oops?"