Foreskin Restoration / Intactivism Network

Go Back   Foreskin Restoration / Intactivism Network > FORESKIN RESTORATION > THE ARTS > - Textual
Register FAQ Members List Calendars Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

- Textual Poetry, Essays

Old February 14th, 2011

Default Essay for proper sexual education

Its sad with today's society. Parents dont teach their kids a simple cleaning method of their own sons penis, and just decide without their consent, to have it amputated. Well, parents aren't even bothering to teach their kids about sexual education, either (whatever is left for a guy to feel anyway), and I believe these go hand in hand, in a sense.

I had to write an essay for AP Lang about a current issue, and you can guess what I wrote about. Needless to say, circumcision is a major issue, and so is the sexual education (or lack thereof) in schools. I got an F because it wasn't "school appropriate," but it was still a B on my grades due to the possible conflict.

English AP
2nd Period
January 31st, 2011
Sexual Education in America
Teen pregnancy. It’s a scary thought for parents, and something teens rarely think about until it happens to them. The United States has shown a very high percentage of teen girls (130 out of every 1000), becoming pregnant, with over 70 percent of them unmarried between 15 to 19 years old. The abortion rate has steadily increased over the years as well, from around 65 per 1000 teen girls, to 72 per 1000. This trend was from 2000-2008, with all stages of abortion. What could be the cause of this? Could it be the lack of discipline in teens, and lack of responsibility? Or could it be the lack of available resources and promotion of abstinence?
All of these problems lead to one major cause: Sexual Education in America. According to the AIDS Research Institute in California, and The Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, 86% of school districts teach abstinence-only programs involving STD discussions, and 35% forced abstinence as the only option for unmarried people. This is comparable to only 14% teaching true comprehensive sex education. Comprehensive programs promote abstinence as the safest policy, while still informing teens. They are taught about several types of contraceptives, family planning services, STD’s, and how to treat them/prevent them. As a comparison, the Netherlands has a comprehensive sexual education program for the country, and much more access to

Price 2
contraceptives and family planning services. According to the National Abortion Federation, their teen pregnancy rate is around one-ninth of the U.S.
What could be the cause of these percentages in the U.S? There are many factors that influence the types of education. Federal funding for the abstinence-only program is one of the biggest factors in determining what schools have the capability of teaching. Religion, if it is a religious school, also plays a factor. Since most religions "supposedly" go against sexual activity before marriage, they would not teach, nor condone any sexual activity by teens. Even so, many research institutes have done studies on the relationship between the type of education, and sexual activity/pregnancy rates. They show a strong correlation between abstinence only programs having higher teen pregnancy rates.
When looked at from a cause-effect point of view, it makes sense. Imagine telling someone young (3-4 years old when they are still exploring their world) not to do something. It is almost certain they will do it to understand why they can not. The same principle applies to teens, only it will be on a more rebellious basis. If they are taught how to properly and safely have sex, they will likely use that knowledge. Whereas telling them not to on the basis of something terrible happening, or its not allowed by their worshipped deity, they will most likely have the attitude to rebel against it. Once they do, they will not be properly protected, and have to suffer the consequences of an STD, or pregnancy.
The same logic can be used on teen driving. Most parents won’t say "Ok, you can’t learn to drive until you get your license." The majority of teens that learn to drive were taught before they met every single requirement to get their license. They can not be
Price 3
expected to know every single thing on the day they are eventually old enough to take the exam, then have their parents finally teach them how to drive upon receiving their license. That is the relation to using the “no sex before marriage” argument.
The major benefit of a comprehensive sexual education program, is it offers choice to teens. While abstinence is promoted as the surefire way to prevent pregnancy, they still present different resources and methods to prevent it, and have sex safely. The teens that choose to not have sex can still follow with their beliefs, and aren't forced to learn about contraceptives being their choice. The ultimate benefit of proper education, and safety promotion, will be prevention of problems and possible family tension in the near future. You wouldn’t let your car run on dirty oil then decide to change it after burning up your engine. If teens are safe, that will lead to less pregnancies, and less problems. It will also help stop the spread of STDs, and other dangerous viruses. Ultimately, the sexual-related problems in the country can all be tied back in to the type of education the teens received.

725 Words

Sources
http://ari.ucsf.edu/science/reports/abstinence.pdf
http://www.prochoice.org/about_abort...age_women.html
http://www.avert.org/sex-education.htm

Orgasm is "self-abuse," enjoying is "tampering with," ecstatic pleasure is "irritation," and hiring a Jew in a "high physical state" to skin the end of your child's dick and cut it off is a "mother's duty" and shows "love." War is peace and freedom is slavery. You'd have to be high to do it, alright. Please pass the LSD...
Old February 14th, 2011
Administrator

Default Re: Essay for proper sexual education

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_MP View Post
Its sad with today's society. Parents dont teach their kids a simple cleaning method of their own sons penis, and just decide without their consent, to have it amputated. Well, parents aren't even bothering to teach their kids about sexual education, either (whatever is left for a guy to feel anyway), and I believe these go hand in hand, in a sense.

I had to write an essay for AP Lang about a current issue, and you can guess what I wrote about. Needless to say, circumcision is a major issue, and so is the sexual education (or lack thereof) in schools. I got an F because it wasn't "school appropriate," but it was still a B on my grades due to the possible conflict.

English AP
2nd Period
January 31st, 2011

Sexual Education in America

Teen pregnancy. It’s a scary thought for parents, and something teens rarely think about until it happens to them. The United States has shown a very high percentage of teen girls (130 out of every 1000), becoming pregnant, with over 70 percent of them unmarried between 15 to 19 years old. The abortion rate has steadily increased over the years as well, from around 65 per 1000 teen girls, to 72 per 1000. This trend was from 2000-2008, with all stages of abortion. What could be the cause of this? Could it be the lack of discipline in teens, and lack of responsibility? Or could it be the lack of available resources and promotion of abstinence?

All of these problems lead to one major cause: Sexual Education in America. According to the AIDS Research Institute in California, and The Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, 86% of school districts teach abstinence-only programs involving STD discussions, and 35% forced abstinence as the only option for unmarried people. This is comparable to only 14% teaching true comprehensive sex education. Comprehensive programs promote abstinence as the safest policy, while still informing teens. They are taught about several types of contraceptives, family planning services, STD’s, and how to treat them/prevent them. As a comparison, the Netherlands has a comprehensive sexual education program for the country, and much more access to contraceptives and family planning services. According to the National Abortion Federation, their teen pregnancy rate is around one-ninth of the U.S.

What could be the cause of these percentages in the U.S? There are many factors that influence the types of education. Federal funding for the abstinence-only program is one of the biggest factors in determining what schools have the capability of teaching. Religion, if it is a religious school, also plays a factor. Since most religions "supposedly" go against sexual activity before marriage, they would not teach, nor condone any sexual activity by teens. Even so, many research institutes have done studies on the relationship between the type of education, and sexual activity/pregnancy rates. They show a strong correlation between abstinence only programs having higher teen pregnancy rates.

When looked at from a cause-effect point of view, it makes sense. Imagine telling someone young (3-4 years old when they are still exploring their world) not to do something. It is almost certain they will do it to understand why they can not. The same principle applies to teens, only it will be on a more rebellious basis. If they are taught how to properly and safely have sex, they will likely use that knowledge. Whereas telling them not to on the basis of something terrible happening, or its not allowed by their worshipped deity, they will most likely have the attitude to rebel against it. Once they do, they will not be properly protected, and have to suffer the consequences of an STD, or pregnancy.

The same logic can be used on teen driving. Most parents won’t say "Ok, you can’t learn to drive until you get your license." The majority of teens that learn to drive were taught before they met every single requirement to get their license. They can not be expected to know every single thing on the day they are eventually old enough to take the exam, then have their parents finally teach them how to drive upon receiving their license. That is the relation to using the “no sex before marriage” argument.

The major benefit of a comprehensive sexual education program, is it offers choice to teens. While abstinence is promoted as the surefire way to prevent pregnancy, they still present different resources and methods to prevent it, and have sex safely. The teens that choose to not have sex can still follow with their beliefs, and aren't forced to learn about contraceptives being their choice. The ultimate benefit of proper education, and safety promotion, will be prevention of problems and possible family tension in the near future. You wouldn’t let your car run on dirty oil then decide to change it after burning up your engine. If teens are safe, that will lead to less pregnancies, and less problems. It will also help stop the spread of STDs, and other dangerous viruses. Ultimately, the sexual-related problems in the country can all be tied back in to the type of education the teens received.

725 Words

Sources
http://ari.ucsf.edu/science/reports/abstinence.pdf
http://www.prochoice.org/about_abort...age_women.html
http://www.avert.org/sex-education.htm
I'm so sorry they pulled a "school appropriate" standard out of their ass. I'd appeal that to the school board. If it's civil enough to appear in the city daily newspaper which students read (and it is) then how can it be unacceptable for school.
Old February 15th, 2011

Apparently, you essay wasn't "school appropriate" because it wasn't politically correct. Your essay makes the case that an abstinence-only approach is foolishly naive and ineffective, and might do more harm than good. But school district policy normally is designed to appease uptight religious folks who are terrified by reality. Who knows what their kids are doing out behind the barn? But the schools will usually cave to religious zealots, because administrators are afraid of controversy and potential threats to the school budget.

Great essay by the way. Unlike school district policy, it's persuasive and in touch with reality.

Next time, you can continue the theme of a mistaken policy that creates more harm than good, and write about circumcision in America.
Old February 15th, 2011

I appreciate the feedback. I have submitted an essay for another assignment, and touched base on circumcision. It was on a topic about parents and their choices regarding punishments, or something of the sort. I am pleased to say that I got a 90, but he noted on red that it would have been a 95, had it contained actual facts about circumcision including benefits about cleanliness. Wtf?

Orgasm is "self-abuse," enjoying is "tampering with," ecstatic pleasure is "irritation," and hiring a Jew in a "high physical state" to skin the end of your child's dick and cut it off is a "mother's duty" and shows "love." War is peace and freedom is slavery. You'd have to be high to do it, alright. Please pass the LSD...
Old February 15th, 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_MP View Post
I appreciate the feedback. I have submitted an essay for another assignment, and touched base on circumcision. It was on a topic about parents and their choices regarding punishments, or something of the sort. I am pleased to say that I got a 90, but he noted on red that it would have been a 95, had it contained actual facts about circumcision including benefits about cleanliness. Wtf?
I think a teacher has a right to expect citable facts and plenty of supporting detail.

But it sounds like this guy just wants "different" detail. Once again I propose the school board is your friend because this time you have in writing that his grading is being affected by his expectation that you parrot back the myths he thinks are true rather than actual truth.

The "actual facts" about circumcision are contained in the most recently updated national medical association policy on earth; Holland's.

"The KNMG is calling upon doctors to actively and insistently inform parents who are considering the procedure of the absence of medical benefits and the danger of complications."

(my bolding)

source: http://knmg.artsennet.nl/Diensten/kn...inors-2010.htm
Old February 17th, 2011

On a related note, I am in the Education Field. I have noticed that there are Anatomy textbooks that show the male body with a flacid, circumcized penis.

Today in America - due to these textbooks - children are being raised to beleive that men do not have foreskins. The ones that do must feel abnormal, since their body does not match what they see in the textbooks.

Given this culture, it is not surprising that someone within the education field would see the circumcision topic as unacceptable.
Old February 19th, 2011
We are finally Pregnant!..Hoping for a baby boy!

Thumbs up Re: Essay for proper sexual education

If a topic can appear in the newspaper, (i.e. little Mario in Miami who was circumcised) I do not understand why it can't appear in a High school paper authored by you. The school board or education system is not allowed to bring up or condone sexual education however you are.
Not school appropriate? Oh that's right.....America lets the Television educate our children........the media is responsible for raising a child and teaching it right from wrong and establishing and presenting the child with a moral base.
A village does not raise a child....the media does....self first...grab and take what you want before anybody else..........this produces adults who will run companies like HP (Mark Heard)...er Oracle now....Enron......
and if they fall short of those goals they can always work at a Big O tire center and develop a steady need for alcohol,tobacco, crystal meth, Mountain Dew, XBox and the Iphone.............................

Theres an APP for that......now.
Colorado